Governing Body for Sportives ???

I just read this - http://www.cyclosport.org/30-Nov-2012/n ... sight.html

Looks as if HotChillee.com and their retail partners are readying themselves to be part of UK's Governing Body for Sportives.

Surely this includes British Cycling - as the governing body for cycling?

Sounds like the sportive industry is possibly changing ...

Anyone interested? LOL!
founder of cyclosport.org

Comments

• Just what we need, another governing body.

And I bet those companies are interested for truly altruistic reasons!

Whilst they may not be perfect, shouldn't BC run it all. Having 3 or 4 as it is already makes us look stupid!
  • British Cycling should control cycling, not commercial or retail companies, in the interests of cyclists surely?
  • Hi,

Thought I'd jump in, before this got out of hand. I'm the Editor of Cyclosport.org.

We have absolutely no aspiration or plans to become a governing body for cyclosportives, or any other cycling discipline. The whole purpose of our Cyclosport End of Season Ride & Lunch is to bring together colleagues, professional cyclists and friends that have an existing relationship with the website we run. They are from the general cycling, retail and sportive world and join up to have a bit of a pedal, and an open networking session and a discussion about cycling.

These discussions include talks about things like new event concepts, event funding or sponsorship and how best to use the great rise of UK professional cyclists to inspire a new generation and area of cycling.

Again, none of this includes becoming a governing body, or wanting to become a governing body. We are interested in doing our bit to raise the interest in sportives and help with professionalism, if we can, informally and through our editorial reviews of events.

It's the third year we've run our End of Season Ride & Lunch event, and its purpose hasn't changed - it's just a bit of a catch up.

We're more than happy running a website which is hopefully interesting and informative to our users.

Thanks,

Adam Tranter
    Editor
    http://www.cyclosport.org
  • SecretBurningThread
    edited December 2012
    I'm the founder and ex-Editor of Cyclosport, Mark Harding.

Through my experiences and lessons learnt from working across the whole of cycling, including event organisers, British Cycling, retail companies and alike I will shortly be publishing a full article as to the reason why Cyclosport, Hotchillee or any of its partners should be limited in its powers within the Cycling Industry.

For everyones information I sold Cyclosport to Sven Thiele, owner of Hotchillee.com several years ago through Ian Whittingham, director of Sigma Sport - where I worked part time to keep Cyclosport going at the time.

Shortly after completing the sale of Cyclosport and breaking my wrist on ice commuting to work, I was sacked by Sigma Sport.

After a long process of hardship which included taking Sigma Sport to an employment tribunal, I started to rebuild my life. I have a partner, daughter and obligations like everyone else.

I will be publishing further details to what I have been through.

But I'm stating here that I would like to raise money equal to the sale to donate to British Cycling or a charity involved in cycling to clear my good name and reputation in cycling.

I expect the industry or Bike Radar to delete this post, however this won't stop me publishing to the cycling community the journey I have gone through in helping to promote sportives and cycling.

It was never my intention to make a business out of cycling, which is why I want to give back to the sport which I have taken from and love dearly.

British Cycling is the governing body for cycling, I wish to apologise to the board of British Cycling and Andy Cook, head of Every Day Cycling at the time, for what happened back in 2006. I tried my best to work with all parties across the industry.
  • Crikey!

The same old names come up in these kinds of things. Bandwagon jumpers trying to milk the sport for all its worth before heading off to the next big thing.

I bet you've been through a right load of stress. The sport is attracting an alarming number of people in it for a fast buck and woe betide anyone who stands in their way. There's money to be made out of a lot of the newer riders and the names you listed come up with alarming regularity. Big shame that newer cyclists have to go through these experiences before they find the reality.

Good luck.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Surely this includes British Cycling - as the governing body for cycling?

i know an awful lot of people who would argue that forever and a day.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Hi, I'm Cleat the sub Editor of cyclosport, I used to work with kyle, steve in accountants, Ray from sales and that fat bloke bob who smelt of cheese. Remember guys

roses.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • What a wonderful and entertaining thread.

Putting that aside...

A regulatory body for sportives would not work. A regulatory body is an entity that control and enforces regulations on a set of regulatees. In this instance, there are no sport statutes or agreement amongst sportive organisers to subjugate themselves to such a system. Some could of course subscribe to a professional body which exclusively promoted their member's sportive events - which would also include some form of member's code of conduct.

The nearest comparator is AudaxUK, which is also a club. Their regulatory role is linked to the validation process of Paris-Brest-Paris, etc. All organisers have to meet given standards on validation of rides and event design. In effect, an audax is not an audax unless approved by AudaxUK Ltd.

British Cycling is the Sports Council's and UCI's officially recognised NGB (National Governing Board) for the purposes of competitive cycling. CTT is time trial's equivalent but their future is far from certain because of the eventual creep of BC into hosting authorized events.

I doubt there would be sufficient momentum amongst the huge plethora of sportive organisers, with different motivations and different interests to propel a move towards a regulatory regime for sportives.

So, in essence I would guess that Cyclosport's motives are genuine as stated by Adam (above). In other words, a professional discussion between sportive operators. There may of course be other subtexts behind the meeting: the rise of audaxes; plethora of a few dodgy sportive operators harming the image of the rest; ensuring insurers support for the sport; improving the image; improving rider's experiences; ensuring that events are legally compliant, etc.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    dead sheep wrote:
    What a wonderful and entertaining thread.

Putting that aside...

A regulatory body for sportives would not work. A regulatory body is an entity that control and enforces regulations on a set of regulatees. In this instance, there are no sport statutes or agreement amongst sportive organisers to subjugate themselves to such a system. Some could have course subscribe to a professional body which exclusively promoted their member's sportive events - which would also include some form of member's code of conduct.

The nearest comparator is AudaxUK, which is also a club. Their regulatory role is linked to the validation process of Paris-Brest-Paris, etc. All organisers have to meet given standards on validation of rides and event design. In effect, an audax is not an audax unless approved by AudaxUK Ltd.

British Cycling is the Sports Council's and UCI's officially recognised NGB (National Governing Board) for the purposes of competitive cycling. CTT is time trial's equivalent but their future is far from certain because of the eventual creep of BC into hosting authorized events.
    I doubt there would be sufficient momentum amongst the huge plethora of sportive organisers, with different motivations and different interests to propel a move towards a regulatory regime for sportives.

So, in essence I would guess that Cyclosport's motives are genuine as stated by Adam (above). In other words, a professional discussion between sportive operators. There may of course be other subtexts behind the meeting: the rise of audaxes; plethora of a few dodgy sportive operators harming the image of the rest; ensuring insurers support for the sport; improving the image; improving rider's experiences; ensuring that events are legally compliant, etc.

Care to explain the highlighted bit to me.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Crikey!

The same old names come up in these kinds of things. Bandwagon jumpers trying to milk the sport for all its worth before heading off to the next big thing.

I bet you've been through a right load of stress. The sport is attracting an alarming number of people in it for a fast buck and woe betide anyone who stands in their way. There's money to be made out of a lot of the newer riders and the names you listed come up with alarming regularity. Big shame that newer cyclists have to go through these experiences before they find the reality.

Good luck.

Thanks Rodrego, I appretiate your support and tend to agree with your findings.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hi Mark, I never knew any of the above but at least this thread should put an end to a lot of speculation. Having met you several times I can say that I know you are passionate about the industry and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
    Brian B.
  • Thanks Brian,

It means a lot to me to hear from you - and be allowed back on the Bike Radar forum.

Good to see that there's so many great enthusiasts still here.

I'm planning to do some events next year and ride a lot more like the old days. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

How's Richboy? Is he still cycling?

Regards,

Mark
  • Somebody I know involved with this group confirmed with me that it is not about becoming a governing body. It is more to do with an exchange of ideas and a concern that the audax surge may be affecting their business.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Richyboy is still putting in the miles but he does not participate in sportives now or will cherry pick the ones he will do. I have been sort of absent off late from the sportive scene in England/Wales in 2012 and only cycled 6 last year due to the amount of sportives that have cropped up lately in Scotland and have been lending my support to them.

For 2013 however I am going to do more sportives in Northern England and hopefully we might meet up at one.
    Brian B.
  • Good to hear Richyboy is still cycling, send him my regards. :wink:
  • Somebody I know involved with this group confirmed with me that it is not about becoming a governing body. It is more to do with an exchange of ideas and a concern that the audax surge may be affecting their business.

I've heard the Audax's are the next big thing in Cycling. Sounds like it's time to do a few more 8)