Nick Clegg is feeling sad

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Well I was close enough....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

• Lib dems are involved in the policy decision process.

The Lib Dems are to government what Smithers is to Mr. Burns...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    edited December 2012
    I've never been so disillusioned with all the 3 main party's.

Cameron...smug tw4t.
    Clegg...gutless idiot.
    Miliband...wet lettuce.

I always imagine if Miliband got into power the amusing situation of him in discussions with some hard-line middle-eastern ex general...he'd shrivel away like a c0ck on a cold day.

I'd literally rather vote for a wet cow pat than any of those 3.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DavidJB wrote:

Cameron...smug fool.
    Clegg...gutless idiot.
    Miliband...wet lettuce.

I always imagine if Miliband got into power the amusing situation of him in discussions with some hard-line middle-eastern ex general...he'd shrivel away like a fool on a cold day.

So (genuine question) what are you suggesting as the alternative?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    bompington wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Cameron...smug fool.
    Clegg...gutless idiot.
    Miliband...wet lettuce.

I always imagine if Miliband got into power the amusing situation of him in discussions with some hard-line middle-eastern ex general...he'd shrivel away like a fool on a cold day.

So (genuine question) what are you suggesting as the alternative?

I'll personally be voting for an independent as a protest vote. Not that it matters with our crappy FPTP which is perpetuated by the big parties as it suits them...or many they could offer us a real PR system and not the worst form of one like last time.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DavidJB wrote:
    I'll personally be voting for an independent as a protest vote. Not that it matters with our crappy FPTP which is perpetuated by the big parties as it suits them...or many they could offer us a real PR system and not the worst form of one like last time.
    Protest votes are just a way of thumbing your nose at those in power, and, to be blunt, are just plain immature. Surely if you think they're all so terrible, you must have some idea of what "not terrible" looks like so you can vote for it? Or stand yourself as you could clearly do a better job?
    No, I didn't think so.
  • I'm not a LibDem voter, but Clegg cops the flak for association with the Tories, when he is probably a moderating influence on them. Cameron's scapegoat. But yet he is limp. Look at how Cameron was able to dismiss the Levison inquiry while the ink was still drying. I don't like the LibDems because they are chameleons - left in some electorates, right in others. But they do cut across social class, as people voting all their life according to class background ain't good.

Maybe I just don't like yellow.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I'm even my local youth representative.

Must be a tough job after the tuition fees debacle! All the parties have conspired to screw over the younger generation, but this particular betrayal comes across as especially cynical even by the usual standards of British politics. Not exempting the fees vote from the coalition agreement was a huge tactical error, probably doing more damage to the reputation of your party than any other single decision. 'Solemn pledges' aren't easily forgotten, however good politicians might imagine they are at 'managing the public perception'.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    +1 RDW - That and the pathetically watered down voting reform.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    RDW wrote:
    I'm even my local youth representative.

Must be a tough job after the tuition fees debacle! All the parties have conspired to screw over the younger generation, but this particular betrayal comes across as especially cynical even by the usual standards of British politics. Not exempting the fees vote from the coalition agreement was a huge tactical error, probably doing more damage to the reputation of your party than any other single decision. 'Solemn pledges' aren't easily forgotten, however good politicians might imagine they are at 'managing the public perception'.

It does mean there's a lot of headroom if you do hang on in there.

There aren't many young people (under 30) involved in my area at all, so I get treated quite well.

It was a (pun intended) schoolboy error on part of the Lib Dems. They took the heat for a Tory policy, and the fiscal implications of the pledge were pretty serious. That should have been realised sooner. It's a kind of decision you can't really make as the minority party in a coalition.

I'm more sympathetic to the fees than most Lib Demers. My mother works at a top tier uni (one that is supposed to be very rich) and I know how much teaching is struggling with lack of money, so I have a different perspective than most voters. So many departments that aren't maths or engineering are quietly disappearing even at top tier institutions as unis can't afford to keep them.
  • David Cameron is out of the country so Nick Clegg is running the country. I can only assume this is what the Mayans were on about...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer