Cold weather cycing is bad for the man spuds

litwardle
litwardle Posts: 259
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I went for my first ride in about a year last night. (more info on blog) It was pretty damn cold though, and although I have good quality layers and outer layer I was surprised that by for the coldest thing on my body was my groin!! Hold hell it was cold! Saddle is at the correct angle etc so not lack of circulation. Although Ive been riding for years, Ive never really gone out in freezing conditions. I was only wearing a pair of all season tights... What do you guys wear in the winter months? I don't really want to get fleece lined tights though as my legs were fine, in fact although it was only about 0 degrees degrees last night my legs were fine.

Thumbs up for my sealskinz gloves though...At a fairly respectable £35 they were pricey but my god they were toasty!!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have some cheap and cheerful DHB roubaix bibtights. I wear these over a thermal l/s base layer which is long enough at the front to afford an extra layer for the gentleman's veg area. I too was out last night for 90 minutes, and apart from being pebble-dashed by the b@stard gritting lorry again, suffered no discomfort.
  • What benefit do bib tights have over normal ones then? I did think of wearing some kind of thermal boxer but i would imagine that to be quite uncomfortable under tights...I nearly put my MTB baggies over the top actually....Just look a bit daft with tights....
  • keef66
    I like my bib tights because:

1) the extra material, especially at the back, means the kidney area is well covered and there's no gaps
    2) the fact that it's a thicker, fleecy backed roubaix type fabric means it's extra warm
    3) the shoulder straps keep everything snugly in place
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I wear bib tights too and have never suffered from frosted groceries. They, too, ar the fleecy backed roubaix ones though. Must confess that when the weather gets truly nippy (it was -5 this morning), I tend to put another pair of tights over the top.....but that's to stop legs and feet getting cold.
  • hmmm ok I'll have a look in my magic book and get some...I suppose the man veg could be considered an extremity....(optimistic) so I guess keeping everything else a little warmer and the love-spuds will take care of themselves.

Many thanks for the responses :D
  • I have cut the padding out of and old pair of shorts and I shove it down which helps I have read that crumpled newspaper is also good for keeping the spuds warm!
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-76919.html

It would be good if you could buy a pair of shorts with a wind-proof front

irishkeet :mrgreen:
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I wear a pair of Ron Hills over my normal summer shorts. Probably not the done thing, but the layering seems to work quite well.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    If you pre-arrange the correct post ride recovery treatment then I wouldn't worry about the chill. In fact the treatment can easily justify the initial discomfort.

Speak to your wife/girlfriend/whoever.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Oddly, I find that when cycling in cold weather it's not the plums that get cold, it's the leg-pit slightly above and either side of Szecseny.*

* big Pole.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • And for some reason I get constantly berated, criticised and abused on these boards - but some guy whining about his cold ball bag doesn't?

£800 wheels on a beginners board, cold ball bags, how to eat - I honestly have no idea how such a simple question such as, "How old are newbies to road cycling?" is at the top of this road BEGINNERS board.

Obviously must annoy certain people. Those with £800 to spend on a set of wheels, who can't cook and who have cold ball bags.

I must admit, as a beginner I struggle to eat, find wheels for £800 and keep my ball bag warm.

Although the last one - I get plenty of help with from the "helpful" posters on here who are experts in ball bags.

Can we have more threads on "keeping my ball bags warm" please?.......
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    Blood leaves the digestive and reproductive areas when you're exercising, because you aren't using them. The temperature of your man spuds will be lower in general, especially in the cold.

What I decided on doing was buying chamois-less tights and putting them on over my summer shorts, so I have 2 layers around that area to help keep warmth.

I'm sure you could fashion some sort of fabric or something to stuff in there during your rides too if it matters.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Do we women have "spuds" then?, if not why the qualifier for man spuds?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Thebigbee wrote:
    And for some reason I get constantly berated, criticised and abused on these boards - but some guy whining about his cold ball bag doesn't?

He has obviously retained his sense of humour whilst you....... :twisted:

BTW it is baw bag.

http://www.bawbags.com/
  • keef66
    NewTTer wrote:

I presume to differentiate them from the starchy tubers of the same name.

On the subject of which I lifted the last of my potatoes at the weekend only to find that some had suffered frost damage and had to be discarded. So it's not just man spuds that need protection once the temperatures start to fall.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    keef66 wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

I presume to differentiate them from the starchy tubers of the same name.

On the subject of which I lifted the last of my potatoes at the weekend only to find that some had suffered frost damage and had to be discarded. So it's not just man spuds that need protection once the temperatures start to fall.
    Nothing more demoralising that frost damage to your spuds, be they earth, man, woman or whatever
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Thebigbee wrote:
    And for some reason I get constantly berated, criticised and abused on these boards - but some guy whining about his cold ball bag doesn't?

£800 wheels on a beginners board, cold ball bags, how to eat - I honestly have no idea how such a simple question such as, "How old are newbies to road cycling?" is at the top of this road BEGINNERS board.

Obviously must annoy certain people. Those with £800 to spend on a set of wheels, who can't cook and who have cold ball bags.

I must admit, as a beginner I struggle to eat, find wheels for £800 and keep my ball bag warm.

Although the last one - I get plenty of help with from the "helpful" posters on here who are experts in ball bags.

Can we have more threads on "keeping my ball bags warm" please?.......

You write this and wonder why ? :roll:
    Perhaps it's because he's asking about clothing, whilst you just tend to get abusive.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved