Giant Trance X3

b_real
b_real Posts: 157
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey all... I've just had my X3 2010 model nicked, so I've been looking at my insurance. It's a replace with current model policy, but I'm looking at the current X3 spec and it looks way cheaper (£1,199) compared to when I bought it in 2010 (£1,600).

2013 Spec:
http://www.shopgiant-bicycles.co.uk/329 ... e-x-3.aspx
Shimano Alivio / Deore set up, M395 brakes, SRAM PG950 cassette, RockShox XC32 TK Coil forks w/ Tapered Steerer, 120mm etc, looks way down on spec compared to the old model:

2010 Spec:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... /#features
Fox 32 F120R, 120mm suspension fork w/ 15QR thru-axle, Fox Float R rear shock, Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes

What's going on here? I'm not aware of how good the componentry is on the 2013 X3, but it looks pretty poor compared to the old one, and the price is down. Why is this? Why would Giant skimp on newer models, to keep prices down? I don't want my insurance to replace a better model with a worse one!
Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.

Comments

• b_real
    While I'm here, I had a Kona Caldera (2010) model nicked as well, what's the latest model of that bike?

viewtopic.php?f=10040&t=12892770

Edit: added link to bike theft ad on the forum.
    Norco Sight Killer B

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    b_real wrote:
    What's going on here? I'm not aware of how good the componentry is on the 2013 X3, but it looks pretty poor compared to the old one, and the price is down. Why is this? Why would Giant skimp on newer models, to keep prices down? I don't want my insurance to replace a better model with a worse one!
    this happens every year with all makers, paulscycles have the 2011 X3 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p3505
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • b_real
    this happens every year with all makers

I thought the common trend was to keep the same level of components and just let the overall cost of the bike increase, in line with general inflation?
    Norco Sight Killer B

• Nope, they try to hit certain price points and tend to reduce spec accordingly. Sometimes partly offset by new design - tapered steerers and such.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant have cut the model range for the Trance. The X3 is now equivalent to the old X4 and the new X2 is equivalent to your X3.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    IIRC 2011 model trances get the revised frame, you want the 2011 x3 or failing that the 2012 which has the same suspension but SRAM rather than Shimano kit. The 2011 should be available from Pauls, the 2012 from various places.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • b_real
    Thanks for the replies. Yep it looks like the 2013 X2 is closer to my 2010 X3, although they've gone all Shimano on the drivetrain but I guess I could live with that. Just trying to get as much info before dealing with insurance co, so they don't screw me over. I have doubts that they will see a bike as individual parts somehow :(

What a hassle...
    Norco Sight Killer B

• rockmonkeysc
    I would take the Shimano kit over SRAM anytime. Even my SRAM X0 drive train is crap, not even as good as SLX.
  • chez_m356
    I would take the Shimano kit over SRAM anytime. Even my SRAM X0 drive train is crap, not even as good as SLX.
    it seams that you have either used or know someone that has used/sampled/tested every piece of equipment or bike on the planet, i'm surprised all the bike publications aren't knocking at your door to partake of your wisdom :wink:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    That X2 looks very nice... that's what I'd want even if I had to throw in the £200 to make up the RRP dfference.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

Without wanting to start a discussion about SRAM versus Shimano, I generally have preferred Shimano - but the X0 setup on my Nomad is excellent. The SLX I had on my old bike was very good too mind you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    chez_m356 wrote:
    it seams that you have either used or know someone that has used/sampled/tested every piece of equipment or bike on the planet, i'm surprised all the bike publications aren't knocking at your door to partake of your wisdom :wink:

I have SRAM X0 on my DH bike, had SRAM X7 on my old Reign X, had X0/X9 on my 456SS for a while. None of them were even close to as good as my SLX or XT set ups.
    The magazines don't want me because I'm not pretty enough to appear on their pages and I refuse to write articles about how amazing 29ers are using some dodgy made up facts and out of scale graphs & diagrams that I was told to use while being raped by Specialized/Lapierre/Giant/Trek marketing executives.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:

I have SRAM X0 on my DH bike, had SRAM X7 on my old Reign X, had X0/X9 on my 456SS for a while. None of them were even close to as good as my SLX or XT set ups.
    The magazines don't want me because I'm not pretty enough to appear on their pages and I refuse to write articles about how amazing 29ers are using some dodgy made up facts and out of scale graphs & diagrams that I was told to use while being raped by Specialized/Lapierre/Giant/Trek marketing executives.
      :lol: now that is a truly excellent reply :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    chez_m356 wrote:

So you bought sram, didnt like it. You bought sram again, and didnt like it. Then you bought sram again, and didnt like it.

You're a weird man.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I bought SRAM once and bought two bikes which came with SRAM. I liked the bikes & the SRAM transmission wasn't enough to put me off as I knew that if I didn't like it I could sell it nearly new and it wouldn't cost me much to replace with Shimano. Is that ok?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I liked the bikes & the SRAM transmission wasn't enough to put me off

Same here, you'd have to be a bit of a looper to make your first buying criteria the transmission.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • chez_m356
    I bought SRAM once and bought two bikes which came with SRAM. I liked the bikes & the SRAM transmission wasn't enough to put me off as I knew that if I didn't like it I could sell it nearly new and it wouldn't cost me much to replace with Shimano. Is that ok?
    so what are they both running now then ? :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    chez_m356 wrote:
    so what are they both running now then ? :wink:

i sold the Reign X with SLX fitted. The 456SS has SLX and the Scalp will very soon have Shimano Saint but I might keep the SRAM Descendant cranks as they are nice & light and I have already fitted a Chris King bottom bracket
  • b_real
    Hi folks, thanks for the replies. Insurance is progessing on this, with a 'like for like' replacement policy. Their contracted suppliers are Wheelies (http://www.wheelies.co.uk). Looks like they have the 2013 Trance X2 and X3, the X3 is clearly underspecced and therefore not 'like for like', but I still have to convince them of this. These are the components I feel are short:
      2010 Model: Fork Fox 32 F120R, 120mm suspension fork w/ 15QR thru-axle, Fox Float R rear shock Shock Fox Float R Shifters Shimano Deore Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX Shadow, top normal Brakes Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes Brake Levers Avid Elixir 3 2013 Model: Fork RockShox XC32 TK Coil w/ Tapered Steerer, 120mm Shock Giant Air-R Shifters Shimano Alivio, 3x9 Speed Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore M592, 9-Speed Brakes Shimano M395, 180mm rotors Brake levers Shimano M395

Does that sound about right? I'll use those as the main arguments for upspeccing to the X2. One small snag with the X2 tho is that it's not available in my size until Feb 2013.

If they push for a solution now, and the X3 & X2 aren't available, what other bikes would be similar to the Trance? For example I know the Trek Fuel Ex 8 or something is same kinda bike (although that's not available on Wheelies website). They've got a reasonable range of brands on there... Lappy, Orange, Scott, Specialized... ooo and even a Charge Cooker Ti.... wonder if they would upgrade to that for free...
    Norco Sight Killer B

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rubbish rip off site IMHO but it's easy enough to show that every component is a level or two down.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • b_real
    Yeah my bike-dazzled eyes have settled and seen the site for what it is... overpriced and full of crap! Still, there's a few decent bikes there & i've got no choice where I get the bike from.
    Norco Sight Killer B

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you sure? I bet it doesn't say anything like that in the policy, so they either replace with something comparable or pay cash. They can't force you to take something of lesser value just because they get a massive discount from an overpriced supplier.
    If they play hardball, a suggestion that the Ombudsman may decide differently is often enough to make them reconsider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • b_real
    No I'm not sure. A cash settlement for the Giant would be ideal, then I can put it towards a titanium hard tail that i've been dying to do for ages. Maybe i'll stand firm on the Trance X2, and demand cash then if they fail to provide it.

I've got another thread on here as well, about a Kona Caldera (it was nicked as well). They definitely don't have any Caldera's...
    Norco Sight Killer B

• Worrying number of bike thefts.
    I've been looking at the. Trance X2, I called into tredz to have a look at the bike, I was questioning the salesman about the price difference between the 2012 bike and the 2013 model (they had the 2012 in the sale) and why the newer X2 was cheaper than last years list price.
    My old bike was a. Kona Kula which I bought in store from wheelies. I thought that wheelies and tredz are now the same company? I saw the 2012 Kula on the wheelies site in the sale and its tempting away from getting a full sus! :?
    Must resist.
    Tredz have got the caldera listed and if the same company, youd think wheelies could get the bike. I found tredz very helpful.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    This is true
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp