Sleeping bag or similar tied to front low-rider rack

sajets
sajets Posts: 18
edited December 2012 in Tour & expedition
All

Has anyone tried tying a sleeping bag (inside a bag) or similar shaped item to a front low-rider rack when touring? I want to make a bit more space in my rear panniers but because I am flying and do not have space to take front panniers too. I have my tent on top of the rack, so that space is gone.

Thanks

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I wouldn't tie things to a low rider front rack. Why don't you just lash your sleeping back on top of your tent on the rear rack?
  • I've flown with front and rear panniers many times - I just put all four in a large cheap bag which then counts as one item at check-in.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • sajets
    Hey

I am trying to move weight forward and make a bit more space in the rear panniers for food etc. Putting the panniers into one bag works but four panniers for a five day trip is likely not necessary (also, I am trying to keep the overall weight down and save the expense of buying the front panniers ;) )

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • I thought you already had the front panniers.

Fixing anything to a front rack with a bungee or whatever seems to be courting disaster. The bag will no doubt slip and drop - if it ends up jamming in the front wheel you'll be head-first over the bars before you can utter Ortlieb.

In my experience, I carry the same amount of stuff if it's just a week-long tour as I do when heading off for a few months.

Do you have the front rack yet?
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • sajets
    Agree, there is a risk and I would definitely not use a bungee etc. I wanted to use a 2m line, long enough to create a webbing around the pack so that it cannot move in any direction and use sailing knots.

I do have the front rack lying around but not yet attached.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    It should be fairly easy to lash a sleeping bag to a low rider securely enough.
    I'd be worried about catching the bag on something and ripping it, and would probably end up getting a fairly tough Ortlieb drybag.

I carry mine on an above-the-wheel front rack. No good if you use a bar bag though.