Slid on ice today and crashed

electriclinux
electriclinux Posts: 33
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
Was cycling when I hit some ice on an ungrited road and slid into the back of a taxis today. I got the incident on camera and garmin gps tracking, I got the driver's details just in case and went to hospital and got my shoulder x-rayed and suffered only a minor tear and just have to be off the bike for a few weeks. I have British Cycling Gold Membership (not sure if that matters) and haven't contacted the police yet (didn't think at the time of collision). What do I do next, I live in Northern Ireland (if that makes a difference).

Comments

• I hope the bike is ok!

Seriously though, I hope you get better and back on the bike soon.

I doubt you need to contact police. Why would you need to? Just concentrate on getting better and start shopping for some winter studded tyres.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    The taxi may want to claim for damages. If you hit the back of him there really is no contest.
    Your BC insurance will cover it.

I had to swerve to miss a right turning car, and ran into the back of a lovely new beamer as a result of the change of direction. BC sorted out the insurance.

Give them a ring and let them know there may be a claim, as if the claim comes afer a few weeks they may want to know why they were not contacted straight away.
  • Taxi driver said it was fine and found no damage to the taxi.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Taxi driver said it was fine and found no damage to the taxi.

Sounds like you can just live and learn :D Maraton Winter tyres are good if you ride on ice a lot.

Having bc/ctc membership is well worth it for the insurance.
  • Ouch sorry to hear it mate - heal up. Doesn't strike me as something you need to call the police about, as it doesn't sound like it was assault or anything.

where was this? I'm on the fence re riding out to East Sussex tonight, ice is a worry.
  • Was running schwalbe Marathon Plus and was thinking just that day I should get some ice tyres, and was cycling in Belfast (Hollwood Road). I would be very very careful cycling in case of ice.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Was running schwalbe Marathon Plus and was thinking just that day I should get some ice tyres, and was cycling in Belfast (Hollwood Road). I would be very very careful cycling in case of ice.

Where was the ice on the Hollywood Rd? I'm in Sydenham but I know it wasn't cold enough here for proper ice.

FWIW don't expect the Roads Service to take any responsibility for gritting the roads, I have the wee leaflet they sent out in my hand and they say they grit routes carrying more than 1500 vehicles a day, I know they seldom grit Mersey St which has upwards of 1500 vehicles a day. The great thing is, at the back of the leaflet they have a disclaimer saying they can't guarantee grit free roads. What taxi firm was it, if it's one of the "big two" I'd make sure I had legal cover, the local boys will be less liable to claim.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Not big patches of ice, thin ice patch around the size of a dinner plate beside the grate in front of the florist/boots.
    No, it was one of the smaller taxi firms.

Mersey street doesn't get gritted....that is bad. Especially in the mornings and evenings it is quite busy (with titanic quarter and the Odyssey) .
  • Big_Paul
    Not big patches of ice, thin ice patch around the size of a dinner plate beside the grate in front of the florist/boots.
    No, it was one of the smaller taxi firms.

Mersey street doesn't get gritted....that is bad. Especially in the mornings and evenings it is quite busy (with titanic quarter and the Odyssey) .

Know it well, you usually have something turning right into Grampian Av and holding everything up, Grampian used to be one way and the traffic was better.

Mersey St is a joke, especially as the end of it at Dee St is right beside the salting depot.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Big_Paul
    On a related topic, the Lagan towpath at the Gasworks was sheet ice today, several cyclists came to grief, seemingly the towpath is a grey area with Roads Service and Belfast City Council each claiming the other is entrusted with salting it. Meanwhile people get hurt. :roll:
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Only going to get worse with the increased temperature drop.