When to start using Schwalbe marathon winters??

Cycling-mad
Cycling-mad Posts: 50
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
Hello all, sorry for the noobie question! Here it goes :
When could / should I start using Schwalbe marathon winters?
Just bought a new bike and although its very cold here I haven't managed to get cycling for three weeks! Very worried of falling and damaging myself or said bike - never used the tyres before but have purchased due to the harsh winters here in Norway and because of recommendations through you guys and gals :) any advice? Can I be jumping the gun and using them too early?

Thanks again!
THE GARAGE :
2013 - Whyte Saxon Cross,
2009 Giant CRS 0,
2009 - Specialized Rockhopper Comp,

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What bike did you go for in the end?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Start now because schwalbe recommends a break in period.
    " In order to ensure that spikes are permanently fixed, tyres should be run in for about 40km on asphalt, while avoiding any fast acceleration or heavy braking. "
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when ever you want. if no ice run at high pressure and the studs stay clear of the road. and drop the pressure a tad when the ice come so the studs do what they should.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fantastic! Thanks all! And thanks to you Rubbertoe .... over my budget and opted for the Whyte Saxon cross :)
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    nicklouse wrote:
    when ever you want. if no ice run at high pressure and the studs stay clear of the road. and drop the pressure a tad when the ice come so the studs do what they should.

not on the 26" ones. studs on the road the whole time, loads of road noise, even at max recommended pressure.
  • Thanks for that 16mm :) Personally im using the 700c type :)
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • Cycling-mad, my buddy uses Marathon Winters for a higher mileage than me (35 miles commute each way!) and has done hundreds of miles on his. Even on normal tarmac without ice, they are very hardwearing, so you can use them now with no problem. As mentioned they are noisy and heavy but better than making a visit to the hospital!

When should you use them? Do you have a separate bike or wheelset for ice? I'm fortunate to have a separate ice bike and just use the car windscreen as a guide - if it's frosted up, I use the ice bike.

Let's see pictures of your new winter bike!
  • Thanks Bordersroadie!! Not set at a winter bike more "my new pride and joy" Im fortunate enough to live with somebody who works in the same area so if it is really that bad i wont ride however im set to challenge -20c with snow and ice :) Haven't a photo yet only just set it up and ofcourse its now dark :P however heres a link and ill post a pic soon :) Thanks for the advice all! Much apreciated ! http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 12&xSec=43
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Thanks for that 16mm :) Personally im using the 700c type :)
    Are they definitely different? Its just lack of funds that is stopping me getting some 700c ones, but if they run without any drag/noise I'll probably find the cash from somewhere.
  • Didn't have time last night and typically it snowed all night and most of today so far :/ winter is too unpredictable ! Think after this advice I better stick them on! Thanks all!
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Last couple of days I have been using the standard wheels on my Rev Cross with Maxxis Raze knobblies on them because it was a bit frosty, not icy, just a wee coating of white, of course the roads were gritted and I put my road wheels back on with Sport Contacts on, had a couple of slides but I think it's the stuff they mix in with the salt, molasses maybe? Making the road greasy.

I have Marathon winters on another set of wheels and I'm keeping them for when it's properly cold, where I live, if the road outside my front door is icy, everywhere else is.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Unfortunatly spending over budget on the bike has left no space for a spare set of wheels :( That would be the best possible answer but for now a no-go. Ill put them on tommorow and try a ride see how things go :) I live on the top of a big hill - by the time i get down if its too icy its too late :P Have a great weekend all!
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • I will be putting my Schwalbe marathon tyres on my mountain bike shortly. Normally I commute on either a Focus Cayo if weather good or if bad a Charge Plug or Boardman SC singlespeeders with mud guards.

The mountain bike with the marathons is fondly called my "Spike Bike" for those icy forecast days.

Agree with the run in period and yes, at max pressure they still sound like Rice Crispies.

With forecasts of a really cold winter, I am waiting for the day that the roads grind to a halt, I am the only one at work and when the questions is asked "how did you get in??" reply, I cycled in!!!"
  • Haha merlinghng I love the saying "how did you get in? - I cycled" and thank you for the info! For now I'm just riding the new cx for all year with some mods in the winter :) had the tyres on today and wow it was alot more reassuring on a 25km full snow and ice run :)
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • Nice one, Cycling-mad! I looked at the website, it's a nice bike! Where in Norway are you?
  • South-west Norway near Stavanger :)
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • Me too!
    Between Sandnes and Hommersåk, to be more precise. Cycling to Forus every day.
    Where you? In deep snow, I guess?
  • What a coincidence Bobbygloss, i used to live in Sandnes! The snows deep but not deep enough here in Ålgård - YET! :)
    Ålgård - Forus is my daily commute :)
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • merlinghnd wrote:
    I

With forecasts of a really cold winter, I am waiting for the day that the roads grind to a halt, I am the only one at work and when the questions is asked "how did you get in??" reply, I cycled in!!!"

Nice one. :lol:

I've popped these tyres on my mountain bike and have already run them in (without losing any spikes) I got used to the noise after a short time. My plan is to use the MTB on the icy days (forecast for tomorrow with a light coating of snow) and the hybrid on the "dry" days during the winter.

Most colleagues don't understand that it is still possible to cycle during the winter :wink:

My only concern about cycling in these conditions is the amount of steel cages slipping and sliding around the roads, so I'm planning on a slightly different route via a local park etc.
  • merlinghnd wrote:
    I

My only concern about cycling in these conditions is the amount of steel cages slipping and sliding around the roads, so I'm planning on a slightly different route via a local park etc.

One of my biggest worries too - its snowing here and doesnt look like its stopping anytime soon! With forcast more snow wednesday and next sunday it looks like ice and snow for a while :) Very very wise to alter your route! Wish i had that option :S
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,