Two questions if I may please

houndlegs
houndlegs Posts: 267
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Evening all
1. Had some new tyres delivered,the folding type,do you unfold and leave them for a few days to regain some shape,or just fit them and pump them up?
2. Just looking for approx ideas here, I've had to change my chain after 1300 miles cos its stretched nearly an eighth of an inch. Is this about normal for chain wear? I thought it would last longer than this. Shimano chain if it matters. New chain is kmc,will see how that one goes :D

Cheers

Comments

• trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    I just unwrap and use,it's up to you if you want to iron yours first.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    How did you measure your chain stretch ? It should last much longer.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • trooperk wrote:
    I just unwrap and use,it's up to you if you want to iron yours first.
    Now there's a thought :roll:
  • antfly wrote:
    How did you measure your chain stretch ? It should last much longer.
    I measured it with a steel rule and its just under an eighth,and it was measured accurately several times.
    I thought it should have lasted longer as well.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Shimano (and maybe other) chains are a bit of a scam. If you look at a new one the plates are slightly curved; it's natural that under load over time that curvature will flatten out, which makes them longer, so they then appear to be stretched (which they are obviously but wouldn't be if the plates were flat to start with) so need replacing.

I've never measured a chain in my life, I just change them when the gear change starts to be rough and inconsistent and the chain starts to look a bit worn, which seems to be about 3000 miles. Used to do it about 1500 but that would meand 3 or 4 chains a year, which is a bit much really.

A lot depends on how & where you ride it - if you're churning out 500 watts and live in Wales or Yorkshire you'll see fewer miles out of a chain than if you're a lazy oik in Lincolnshire.

Tyres. Out of the packet, onto the bike. That gives em the shape.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    1. Fit them straight out of the box, pumping them up is the best thing to get them round.

2. 4,300 miles in 12 months on my Trek Madone 3.5, no sign of any chain wear (including using a chain stretch measure). But I do clean and lube after every ride (maybe 2). Yes I ride in the rain and on muddy country lanes (even on a carbon bike)

Edit: Just checked my chain and the 0.75mm wear indicator tool (BBB) is only just catching when inserting it, so I presume I will need a new chain soon.
  • CiB wrote:
    Shimano (and maybe other) chains are a bit of a scam. If you look at a new one the plates are slightly curved; it's natural that under load over time that curvature will flatten out, which makes them longer, so they then appear to be stretched (which they are obviously but wouldn't be if the plates were flat to start with) so need replacing.

I've never measured a chain in my life, I just change them when the gear change starts to be rough and inconsistent and the chain starts to look a bit worn, which seems to be about 3000 miles. Used to do it about 1500 but that would meand 3 or 4 chains a year, which is a bit much really.

A lot depends on how & where you ride it - if you're churning out 500 watts and live in Wales or Yorkshire you'll see fewer miles out of a chain than if you're a lazy oik in Lincolnshire.

Tyres. Out of the packet, onto the bike. That gives em the shape.
    I should have mentioned the gear changing has gone a bit shoddy. As for 500 watts,I have no idea but I'm presuming that's a high power output,if that's so,then it ain't me :D ,but I do actually live in Wales lol.
    Anyways,thanks everyone for the input,the chain should have lasted longer but didn't and the tyres are going straight on.

Cheers