mavic crossride???

chrisannear87
chrisannear87 Posts: 42
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
are they good or no? thinking of buying a set?
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact!

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Yes, they are pretty good wheels, but for a certain type of bike/riding - tell us more about the bike you want to put them on and the type of riding you expect to do for the majority.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are good but not the best, I have crossrides and they are very tough (apart from the occasional 'screech of death' freehub issue which I've yet to experience) and very stiff, although not the lightest.

"Are they good?" depends on how much you have to spend and what bike you ride and where and how you like it to feel so the answer is 'maybe' although better can be had for the money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If you are after a set, get on Merlin Cycles website, they are selling 2012 and 2013 sets for the cheapest Ive ever seen them.
  • mainly xc trails, single track, no drops over 4ft, i was thinking of putting them on a 2004 stumpjumper fsr 130.
    Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    My experience has been really good with them.

I've had a set since 2007 and they've been all over the country and are still spot on it. They're currently on the Mrs' bike and she's tried her best to bust them, but they're still strong and fairly round.

However, there is an issue with spares, if you need them they're hideously expensive and difficult to source.

Superstar have some good deals on their xc wheelset at the moment which should make them roughly the same price as the cross rides. If I had to buy a pair now it's ss that would get my money, purely for the peice of mind.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    For XC use, you'll be fine. I'm sure there are bargain ones to be had.

Have a look at SuperStar too, you can build your own online then they'll build them up and dispatch.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html

You may need some centerlock rotors, but are cheap enough. The wheels are slightly lighter than crossrides, even though has more spokes (double butted at that), are stiffer, are handbuilt and are superb vlue.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    My mate had a pair and used it for N Wales riding, mostly XC/Trail Centre/bit of Snowdon type stuff etc.

He's not a big lad (like me) and complained thta they were too flexy for him. He gave them to his missus though and she loves them.

If you re a skinny whippet then they ll be fine, but if you re a more usual shape then I might look at some handbuilts eg superstar with a few more spokes

In terms of reliability though they ve been great, and they ride frequently through all weathers.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver