Bike for Commuting in London

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited December 2012 in Commuting general
Mate of mine is moving to London next year.

He's planning on commuting - but not sorted out where he's living yet, but he'll be working by the embankment.

He's not a cyclist yet but wants to be.

Any suggestions for a bike for him ? I was thinking a single speed or even hub gear flat bar bike. Full mudguards.
Nothing too expensive - he'll have secure parking at work, but not sure about his home yet.

He'll get a discount off Halfords but I'm not sure they have anything quite like that ?

He could go second hand but really doesnt know much about bikes.

Comments

• I'd advise him to wait until he's found a place to live. If storage is likely to be a problem then a folder might be best, for example this one...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Boris Bike?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good suggestions both ! The folding bike especially could be handy and he could always give the Boris bikes a whirl to begin with. Thanks.
  • My vote goes to a cheap single speed. I've been commuting by cycle in London now for just over a year now, IMO you don't need gears and clipless pedals are pointless during rush hour commutes. I save all that for the weekend.

Boris bikes are convenient but I wouldn't want to commute daily on them. They weigh a ton and you spin out in the highest gear after about 10m! :lol: