Freehub Help

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, I've had issues with my freehub but I've found what I think is the same one and ordered it. However, when speaking to a LBS yesterday to see if he had any in so I could put it on last night he was adament he needed to know what freehub it was before advising (fair enough) and what the fixing one. I advised it was a Shimano M475 to which he replied never heard of it and then said what fixing it used and I advise hollow bolt that a 10mm allen key fits... again he was quite dismissive and advised it could be any and to bring it down. With his attitude I decided to try and service it but to be honest I got as far as taking the dust cap off and couldn't get much further last night and I've ordered off the net as didn't want to have a wasted journey to Mr Angry.

Anyway it got me thinking.... the reason I said M475 is that on the hub it was printed FH-M475 VIAM, so I guessed it was saying for this hub you can only use freehub (FH) M475, was this thinking correct and if so how do I know what cassette would fit onto this hub too? So could I have used any other freehubs and how do i know for sure which cassette will fit?

Sorry for the basic questions here and I have included a couple of photos.

39B0B20E-B0F5-4845-951D-E4BE560DAF42-484-00000031DA4FD826.jpg

46A4A635-0FC9-40DF-9E21-2B1C20408450-484-00000031DECCEF73.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any shimano one will fit.( same spd and not a road 10spd only splin patten).

buy a hub fron CRC and give your hub a overhauk with new bearings etc from the new hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above a complete Deore hub is only £5 more than the freewheel itself.

After removing the axle the freewheel comes off quite easily with a 10mm allen key.

Plenty of info in the faq and on Park Tools quite a rewarding job when it's done.
  • jefflad
    nicklouse wrote:

buy a hub fron CRC and give your hub a overhauk with new bearings etc from the new hub.

That was my belief until the LBS knocked it with all the questions
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    nicklouse wrote:

Not strictly true, some of the lower end Shimano hubs have a different freehub body design.

A replacement hub is in stock at CRC for £2 more than the replacement freehub body
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38215
  • jefflad
    nicklouse wrote:

Not strictly true, some of the lower end Shimano hubs have a different freehub body design.

A replacement hub is in stock at CRC for £2 more than the replacement freehub body

Yeah ordered that but not from CRC... Thanks!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

Not come across any of the current lot that dont fit.

yes many of the older ones 7spd etc were diferent. but the current 8/9/10 spd standard fitting Qr all use the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The entry level stuff that can be found on Acera equipped bikes, RM65 and stuff like that come with a totally different freehub design. See:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 728365.pdf
    The OP's hub for comparison:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 728374.pdf
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I would also recommend finding a new shop, as that hub is a standard one (and lots seem to fail too). They are about £25 from a shop due to shimano shipping it to the shop on its own in a jiffy bag, usually next day.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Have you tried fitting an XT M775 freehub body to an FH-M475 hub Nick?
  • mister p wrote:
    Have you tried fitting an XT M775 freehub body to an FH-M475 hub Nick?

Why? Have you? If so what happened?
  • mister p
    It didn't fit.
  • Oh right, so you were just being clever. Btw, that's often like my obvious that is.
  • mister p
    Edit - can't be bothered to play with you today.