Frozen?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
riding in this morning, notice my shifters weren't err shifting...

they were fine last night and in the house (where my bike lives)

but wouldn't work on the commute

anyone else had frozen cables?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like time to service/replace the cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    When the bike is up to temperature try spaying WD40 down the cables.

I know it is not a lubricant but it will disperse any water which is the culprit.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Had a similar problem...

Last night in the house my toes were working fine. This morning on the bike they went numb and appeared to have frozen solid - good job I was attached to the pedals. Having just injected some hot coffee into the temperature regulation system they are now fine again. Very strange.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • The heating in our building is borked. Everyone in the office is sitting in jackets / fleeces / heavy coats and complaining of the cold.

I'm in my shirtsleeves all nice and toasty.

I LOVE cycling in!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Minus farking three this morning. Should have worn something under my tights because when I got in my arse was like corned beef.
  • Minus farking three this morning. Should have worn something under my tights because when I got in my ars* was like corned beef.

Thank you so much for sharing that. Please don't ever again.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • You want pictures?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I confess to breaking out the Mavic PowerRanger jacket for this morning's ride in; toasty but fugly.
    Slight jink on an icy patch, but not needing the Marathon Winters yet.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well that was fresh indeed, -5° or so in Perth, pretty with the sparkly frost all over the roads though. Studded tyres have the added benefit of making you work harder too, but this was still the first time in a long time I've worn the buff right up over the head. woolly socks and overshoes good for feet though, only took a couple of minutes of pain and strange purple blotches in the shower which compares well with 10-15 it has been once or twice before.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My toes were a bit chilly, need to invest in some wooly bolly (sic) socks methinks.

Planet X £5 gloves still going strong but think the DHB extremes will be getting their first outing in two years soon.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Give the cables a once over. In prolonged cold spells I'd advise bringing the bike in the house overnight so that cables get a chance to dry out (if they have got wet). I've had the freewheel freeze and rear brake cables on the MTB. bike had been used, washed off, then put in garage. Moisture had caused them to freeze once out on the roads as the bike hadn't fully dried.

As the OP's bike lives in the house, deffo get looking at the cables and shifter mechs for moisture - WD40, GT85 or chain lube.
  • bompington
    Minus farking three this morning. Should have worn something under my tights because when I got in my ars* was like corned beef.

Thank you so much for sharing that. Please don't ever again.
    You want pictures?
    I've noticed that prolonged cold rides give me strange cold & red patches on the inside of my thighs, if you like I could...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    What is this "cold" of which you speak? A balmy 4 degrees in London Town this morning. Tomorrow might be a bit fresher though. The Gore Phantom is going strong, perfect conditions for it.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    DrLex wrote:
    I confess to breaking out the Mavic PowerRanger jacket for this morning's ride in; toasty but fugly.
    Slight jink on an icy patch, but not needing the Marathon Winters yet.

It was a bit frosty this morning. I left at 7.15 when it was still quite dark and cold. I come from East Chinnock now, my first few strokes are going up out of Chinnock towards West Coker. Half way up the hill I was wondering what I was doing.

I am off out for a lunchtime ride for an hour though. Chilly but nice outside :) Looking forward to it.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    twist83 wrote:
    [...]Half way up the hill I was wondering what I was doing[...]

I reckon most denizens of East Chinnock think that at many points throughout each and every day whilst awaiting the summons from St Peter and the final taxi.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    haha very good ;)

I am heading out along the Montacute road at lunchtime.
  • Swear I got snowed on (or whatever precipitation falls at 0.5C - difficult to tell with lights) last night. Forecast here is for nothing higher than 2C before Tuesday (Sunday is an amusing high of 0C low of 0C).

I have to say what an awesome bit of kit the Assos 851 Airjack is - just so so versatile - must come close to being my best ever bike purchase.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    The frost was nice and crunchy but it was very dry so not too hazardous
    Did discover though that my gloves are not man enough for -3...and I too had the corned beef ar*e
  • kiwimatt wrote:
    The frost was nice and crunchy but it was very dry so not too hazardous
    Did discover though that my gloves are not man enough for -3...and I too had the corned beef ar*e

Luckily I checked Siri for the temperature and decided to wear my lobster gloves. Just wish I'd gone with the base-layer bottoms too.

Bloody stings, doesn't it?
  • Whatthebloodybleedinghell????

I've got forecasts of snow here on Friday.

Snow???

http://uk.weather.com/weather/tomorrow- ... h-UKXX3771
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daviesee
    ^^^^ Thats Winter for you. ^^^^
  • daviesee wrote:

It's not Winter for almost a month :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • It's been winter for 3 months already here :wink:

MTFU :roll: :wink::wink:

Snow forecast here tomorrow too. I'll have the entire 15 miles to myself
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • It's been winter for 3 months already here :wink:

MTFU :roll: :wink::wink:

Snow forecast here tomorrow too. I'll have the entire 15 miles to myself

Bugger off :wink: I was out in -8 temps last year, and in the snow, frost, ice and wind. I only chickened out when the temps went down to double figure negatives (and no one else actually made it into the office!)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

It's not Winter for almost a month :P
    We got off lightly last year but it is nothing new.

Just to refresh your memory - Derby november 2010.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/derby/hi/pe ... 238716.stm

.... and Winter starts on Saturday. :wink:

(Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb; spring - March, April, May; Summer June, July, August; Autumn - Sep, Oct, Nov)
    You can be as pedantic about the solstices all you want but the weather follows the above pattern, generally. :wink:
  • Looking forward to another icy one tomorrow morning; around -3 this morning, beautiful light conditions as the sun rose. I love this weather, especially the light wind. It might be snowing on the dark ride home tomorrow!
  • bompington
    It's been winter since march here :wink:
    FTFY
  • daviesee
    bompington wrote:
    FTFY
    You forgot about summer. Remember that one week in May......
    Spot on otherwise. :wink:
  • daviesee wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    FTFY
    You forgot about summer. Remember that one week in May......
    Spot on otherwise. :wink:

Yes - you have to have a summer for there to be a winter :wink:

Of course, it normally happens on a week when I'm travelling for work :roll:

On the plus side, I'm probably a world authority on winter cycling gear :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I saw that one of my colleagues has now got his winter bike in full winter mode.

Hub gear trekking bike with disc brakes and he's just put the studded tyres on.

Looks nice, but rather heavy.

Also looks as if it would be more suited to travelling across the wilderness rather than Manchester and Stockport.