tablet but not for eating

micksjoiner
micksjoiner Posts: 409
edited January 2013 in The hub
looking for a 7" tablet for my 6 year old, looking for cheap decent site to buy not bothered about china site as long as good quality thanks
hates dog walkers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ebay. £50ish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nexus 7, good priced solid built tablet buy it from google play nice an cheap.
  • http://www.ebuyer.com/407319-sumvision- ... pc-cycvoy7

This is a great spec for the money. I have pre-ordered one for my son's xmas present. I was previously looking at a cheap one from Novatech which was 10 quid cheaper, but the spec of this blows it out of the water. Hopefully it will be in stock when they say it should be!
  • cooldad
    Got the identical spec to that on Ebay - UK seller for £55.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I've pre-ordered that exact same one for my daughter (6) too.

Got a few old 32gb micro SD cards kicking about to expand the storage too. Although even if you've not got one, they're only about a tenner anyway.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What the fark does a 6 year old need a tablet for?
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    Bought my 3 yr old a ipad so I can have mine back, only seem to be able to use it once she's in bed....
    I'm amazed at how quickly she took to using it, she's started touching the tv now expecting it to respond...
    The mrs did the best though,caught her browsing through the Argos book (other crappy stores available) trying to pinch zoom on the text to make it bigger :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Rucks wrote:
    Bought my 3 yr old a ipad
    And there it is. The moment that humanity has reached the point where it really needs to be wiped off the earth so things can start all over again.
  • cooldad
    I find myself in agreement with Mr Mcgee. WTF happened to toddlers torturing the cat and stuff for entertainment?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • What the fark does a 6 year old need a tablet for?

Well, strictly speaking, it's for her 7th Birthday. And a 7yr old does not NEED a tablet any more than any of the rest of us. They use ipads* at school for projects and such, as well as the laptops (*our school uses apple, other brands are available) so being comfortable with how to use one is surely a good thing. starting in year 3, the children are encouraged to do their homework online and email it to the teacher when done. It's all part of preparing them for later life.

I personally think it's great to introduce kids to stuff like this (in moderation) reasonably early because like it or not, computers, tablets etc are a huge part of society, and later on, the workplace. The ability to use these tools will help in later life. I'm struggling to think of a single job that does not use computers in one way or another now.

Besides, she's going to love it. I can put all her films and stuff on there, all her music, she can go on CBBC or the school wiki or nick jr or whatever, plus there are loads of educational apps and games we can put on there.

Obviously, as I said above it needs to be used in moderation, and of course, it'll have full perental control settings applied. I really don't see what your objection to it is though.

CD, at 7, they're not toddlers anymore, as much as I might wish they were.
  • cooldad
    CD, at 7, they're not toddlers anymore, as much as I might wish they were.
    Rucks wrote:
    Bought my 3 yr old a ipad
    And there it is. The moment that humanity has reached the point where it really needs to be wiped off the earth so things can start all over again.
    cooldad wrote:
    I find myself in agreement with Mr Mcgee. WTF happened to toddlers torturing the cat and stuff for entertainment?

Keep up. I know it's hard to read without moving your lips and drooling, but make the effort.
    Look I've made it easy for you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I stand by my earlier statement, and also add that, it's still a frigging stupidly expensive toy for a 6 or 7 year old too.
    If kids can pick it up that quick, then why the f*ck do they need to have years of practice at it?
    Let them be kids, let them run around, play in the mud and get hurt. Let them use their imagination to make up their own games rather than force feeding them the current fashionable item.
  • cooldad
    Although TBH there is so much fail in this post it's scary, starting with the obvious grammatical errors...
    Rucks wrote:
    Bought my 3 yr old a ipad so I can have mine back, only seem to be able to use it once she's in bed....
    I'm amazed at how quickly she took to using it, she's started touching the tv now expecting it to respond...
    The mrs did the best though,caught her browsing through the Argos book (other crappy stores available) trying to pinch zoom on the text to make it bigger :)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The principle of them is not a fashionable item, they are display screens for information and entertainment.
  • I stand by my earlier statement, and also add that, it's still a frigging stupidly expensive toy for a 6 or 7 year old too.
    If kids can pick it up that quick, then why the f*ck do they need to have years of practice at it?
    Let them be kids, let them run around, play in the mud and get hurt. Let them use their imagination to make up their own games rather than force feeding them the current fashionable item.

Expensive? It's less than £100, that's half a reverb. Unless you're confusing the one I've bought my kid with the other user who bought his kid an ipad. Even if you are, who are you to tell someone what is "stupidly expensive"? It's the equivalent of telling someone they are overbiked.

How do you come to the conclusion that buying a cheap tablet equates to her sitting inside all the time, not playing outside in the mud and getting hurt? What a completely retarded comment to make.

Thanks for the parenting tips, I'll take them on board. However as you've never met me, or my kids, and know precisely fuckall about any of it, I'm sure you'll understand if I take your advice with a pinch of salt. You've spouted some complete boIIocks on here before yeehaa, but this one really takes the biscuit.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I bought an iPad for my son when he was about 2 and a half. A year later he still loves it, best thing we've ever bought for him.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • will you buy me one too, promise i will love it!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    To be fair if somebody had said about giving a 3yr old an ipad to me before the little one came along I'd have probably agreed to an extent as to why they'd need one, but she loves it and its proved very educational, she's already ahead in her class, we were told when she started school (foundation half day) that by the end of the school year they'd be happy if she could recognise her own name, she'd not only done that but could spell and write it before the end of the first term, along with her numeracy, shapes, colours etc, a lot of that's down to us using the ipad.
    My apologies if my parenting skills differ from your archaic own but with the way technology is advancing I'd prefer to give my daughter the best head start possible.
    It's not glued to her hands and is used in moderation,
    Our cats are perfectly tormented.
  • cooldad
    Rucks wrote:
    Our cats are perfectly tormented.
    Well that's OK then.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I stand by my earlier statement, and also add that, it's still a frigging stupidly expensive toy for a 6 or 7 year old too.

Expensive? It's less than £100, that's half a reverb. Unless you're confusing the one I've bought my kid with the other user who bought his kid an ipad. Even if you are, who are you to tell someone what is "stupidly expensive"? It's the equivalent of telling someone they are overbiked.

How do you come to the conclusion that buying a cheap tablet equates to her sitting inside all the time, not playing outside in the mud and getting hurt? What a completely retarded comment to make.

Thanks for the parenting tips, I'll take them on board. However as you've never met me, or my kids, and know precisely fuckall about any of it, I'm sure you'll understand if I take your advice with a pinch of salt. You've spouted some complete boIIocks on here before yeehaa, but this one really takes the biscuit.
    Oh fukkoff you self-righteous prigg.
  • well that went well
    bought the Sumvision one if anybody is interested
    thanks for help
    will keep away from this debate
    but my daughter runs cross country, in football team and of course she has a bike
    :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
    hates dog walkers
  • I stand by my earlier statement, and also add that, it's still a frigging stupidly expensive toy for a 6 or 7 year old too.

Oh fukkoff you self-righteous prigg.

Don't start getting all hormonal with me sweetheart. You came on here handing out parenting advice and you have been called out being completely full of shlt. If you don't like it, maybe you should go for a nice long walk, relieve some stress.

Oh, and Self righteous? Seriously? That the best you do? You come along telling me how to raise my kids, then you've got the nerve to call ME self-righteous? You want to have a word with yourself fella.

Oh, and remind me again, how many kids do you have?

c0ck.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oops, hadn't realised this was the hub, not the CC. Right here's a proper answer then.
    I have my opinions on this, and strong as they are, they're just opinions, and they're mine.
    Being a parent doesn't give you all the answers, and it doesn't automatically make all your decisions good ones. Quite the opposite, in most cases.
    If my opinions pi55 you off, then you need to go outside and have a word with yourself. There's no right and wrong here, just opinions*. How's about YOU stop being so hormonal and get over that. Read it, differ with it, move on.

*except I'm right. I'm always right. There's a small tribe of swamp dwelling people who worship me as an all knowing god, living in secret in a sewer near basingstoke. When I say "small group", I mean really small. You'd need CERN to find them. When the world ends, the rest of humanity is going to be unpleasantly surprised to find that it was this small group of people who were closest to being the right religion. Seriously, the pope's going to have kittens. He'll then buy ipads for those kittens. And even you will think that's a stupid waste of afterlife money.
    So there.
  • Having opinions is fine, you're welcome to your (out-dated, incorrect, luddite) opinion on whatever you like. I have no problem with that and would have been quite happy to leave it with us simply disgreeing on how I should raise my kids.

When you start telling other people what they should and shouldn't buy their kids, or insinuating that the act of buying them a tablet automatically excludes them from all the other activities kids do, without any basis for that argument whatsoever, you've got to expect to be called out for being full of it.

Being a parent most certainly does not give you the answers to everything, but it sure as shlt puts you in a better position to say what's good for your kid than some dude on the internet. Tribe of miniature swamp dwellers or not. Besides, everyone knows the lizard men are going to inherit the earth long before your swamp dwarfs ever get a proper foothold.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Got to say, I'm with CWNT and Rucks on this issue.
    I bought my son an iPad for his 6th birthday. He loves it. He found the pre installed movies and drawing apps without any help from me and quickly found the camera, etc, too. Made it seem so simple to operate, I bought one for myself!
    Then, he excitedly discovered that his school runs a website... Less so, to find he needed flash to see some of it, like a few other websites he likes. So, after twisting me round his little finger, he has a 10.1" Netbook, too.
    In his defence, he remains to be a healthy 7 year old, with many outdoor interests, as well as giving the cat a heap of abuse and aggrevating the sh!t out of the dog :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Blah blah blah, I'm the only parent as far as I'm concerned, so my opinion must be the only valid one. Anybody who has a different opinion is trying to insult me and is questioning my self esteem, or something. probably.
    hopper1 wrote:
    Hey, I'm also a parent, and I made the decision to spend big money on an iPad for a kid, so I must be right too. We're all right.
    :mrgreen:
  • You're right Matt. I started an argument about something I've not really got any clue about, without putting any real thought into it. When I was pulled up on the fact I was spouting rubbish, I did my usual trick of resorting to insults, then trying to turn it into a joke and making out like everyone else is over-reacting.
    I'm sorry.
    :mrgreen:
  • Bahahaha

Your all wrong anyway ;) get the kid a real gaming PC and also some free software development packages and provide us with another generation of developers :P

(Might be a tad advanced but damn it start uhm young for me!)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bahahaha

Your all wrong anyway ;) get the kid a real gaming PC and also some free software development packages and provide us with another generation of developers :P

(Might be a tad advanced but damn it start uhm young for me!)
    It would make more sense than getting them an expensive fashion item. Especially if you're trying to pass it off as an educational toy.
  • i think the pont with it is though they are very easy to use.

i've seen 2 year olds using tablets comfortably, even if i don't believe inthem personally.

I just want to see more good game developers so I can see ghostcrawler sacked at blizzard hehe