Raleigh airlite 300

Cycle Runner 888
Cycle Runner 888 Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in Road beginners

Comments

• seems like a great deal to me. i think they had the 400 on offer last week too...
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • For an extra £75 you can get the 400, I have the 2011 airlite 400 good bike I paid £539 for mine from Wiggle I have done nearly 5000 miles on mine now it's been fault less.
  • A couple of reviews I've seen of that (Cycling Active is the one that stick in my mind) were not all that complimentary. But I suspect some of that is down to brand snobbery, and Raleigh are, you know, just too COMMON. :)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    If you can collect from Hampshire then get this - bargain and won't be for sale long at that price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raligh-Airlit ... 2325b65db1
  • Household name brand, very ordinary spec for the price...

Spec is something that's too fretted over anyway; on paper there is very little difference between many £300 and £1000 bikes - cheap aluminium frame, cheap factory wheels, low-end Shimano groupset, run-of-the-mill finishing kit. Therefore focus on whether you like it or not.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    very ordinary spec for the price...

low-end Shimano groupset, run-of-the-mill finishing kit.

It depends what you're used to and your budget. The 300 has 10sp Tiagra and the 400 has 105 , both of which are good spec for the price and perfectly capable. Both bikes weigh in about 9.7kg which is also ok for the cost.
  • I've got the lowly 100 as a winter bike and has been faultless so far
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • I bought my Raleigh Airlite 300 in July and mine is the review on the Wiggle website. If the bike were identical and had a better regarded brand name then it would be nore expensive, or at this price they would be sold out. The frame is good, the groupset slick and the ride comfortable. The wheels might be ripe for an upgrade but I suspect that will be true on any bike under £600. There is, I think, a great deal of brand snobbery in the bicycle business and I would recommend that people look at the bikes they are thinking of buying in a clear and logical way, rather than being swayed by a brand name. I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that many of the different brands are made by third party manufacturers in the far east in any case, so when you buy a well known brand name, it probably isn't manufactured by that company but a different one entirely.

It is a shame that the cycle business has gone this way, but brand name snobbery is prevelant in all aspects of life, and there is no reason to think our hobby should be otherwise. In conclusion I would say I like the Raleigh Airlite 300 and I think most other people would too, but you must make your own decision.
  • Just purchased the Raleigh Airlite 300 from Wiggle as my first road bike. I have to say that the spec on a bike that price won't be beaten (I spent many a day and night travelling around and searching on the net).
    Many thanks to Niffleman for your review, I read it many a time when looking at the bike :) Have to agree with your snobbery comments, having grown up near Nottingham, I got sentimental and went for Raleigh as it was once based their.
    Been out on it today for the first time, 21 miles around Richmond Park and I couldn't have dreamt for a better first bike. Shifting through the gears in seamless, steering is responsive and from my perspective I very nice looking bike (with one guy complimenting me on it).
    Already looking forward to my next ride tomorrow.