Carbon Clinchers

emx3
emx3 Posts: 5
edited December 2012 in Road general
Im looking at a set of carbon clinchers for my Eddy Merckx EMX3, I current have Fulcrum 5s on and fancy a set of carbon clinchers to bling it up a little and maybe drop a few grams.

Riding style is mostly sportive, and help would be welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Shameless plug, but buy mine?:

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12892628

Not too deep section which means good cross-wind handling, nice weight, and great looks. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've got the PX ones. I like them.
  • emx3
    Thanks Guys, I looked at the PX ones as I pass the shop a lot (very cool showroom btw) and they are nice! they weight the same roughtly as my Fulcrum 5 would I notice much difference?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    buy the guy's Reynolds - better hubs than on the PX for a start - or keep saving and get some Easton SL's
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ILM Zero7 wrote:
    buy the guy's Reynolds - better hubs than on the PX for a start - or keep saving and get some Easton SL's

Hub-wise pretty much the same bog in all the brands you mentioned..l not sure why Reynolds should be better. Have you taken one in parts?
    left the forum March 2023
  • emx3
    Hi Guys, just been looking at a set of campag 50 bullets, any thoughts on these? my bike has full athena 11 sp.
  • Forget deep section bling and save a big amount of weight going for good clinchers.

You're only saving 100g between the R5's and the Bullets. You could save approx 500g for a pair of stiff climbing wheels and they'd knock you back about £450 http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/63-new ... 23-tweaked

But if you must have the deep section then yes the PX would probably do.
  • emx3
    Thanks great devide, I just love the look off carbon wheels!

Your right the PX ones are about the same weight and half the price of the Bullets!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Well I bought the Planet X ones purely for the bling and do love the look of them
    However they actually do ride pretty fast-not found them slower up the hills
  • I would seriously consider looking at these:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12891983
  • majormantra
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Hub-wise pretty much the same bog in all the brands you mentioned..l not sure why Reynolds should be better. Have you taken one in parts?

Not wishing to hijack, but the DT240S is a very, very well regarded hub that is constructed somewhat differently to the typical Novatech/generic ones. They're also very expensive, not that that proves anything. :)
  • ILM Zero7 wrote:

Not wishing to hijack, but the DT240S is a very, very well regarded hub that is constructed somewhat differently to the typical Novatech/generic ones. They're also very expensive, not that that proves anything. :)

They are... does Reynolds use DT Swiss hubs?
  • majormantra
    The MV32's I linked to above have them, yes. (They're rebranded as Reynolds.) Some Reynolds wheels use lower end hubs - my Assaults, for example, have "Reynolds KT" hubs which are doubtless from one of the large Asian manufacturers.
  • The MV32's I linked to above have them, yes. (They're rebranded as Reynolds.) Some Reynolds wheels use lower end hubs - my Assaults, for example, have "Reynolds KT" hubs which are doubtless from one of the large Asian manufacturers.

I didn't know... the 240 are extremely good hubs. I have them on a set for 4 years, never changed the bearings and they were still as new when I sold them.
    I would spec them on my wheels, but they are fairly pricey for the kind of riders I deal with... plus the flange is not ideal for low profile alloy rims
  • Have you guys seen these?

http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/products/ ... te-Finish/

I had a chat with Max Broby, the designer and he sent me exploded diagrams of the rims.. they look nice and they have 28 holes, which means really solid sets can be built for the strongest and most demanding riders.
    If anyone is interested, I'd be up for building them and pass over the information I had from Max. They are now half price.
    They can build fairly light for clinchers, probably well under 1700 grams
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    emx3 wrote:
    Hi Guys, just been looking at a set of campag 50 bullets, any thoughts on these? my bike has full athena 11 sp.

Forget the standard Bullets and go for the Ultra 50mm Bullets, smoothest wheels I have ever ridden and with the USB ceramic hubs they just roll for ever.
  • Reynaulds assaults. Purchased some this summer made an improvement on my Spinnergy PBOs which were no slouches in the first place.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.