Serious question, opinions please.

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
Hi everyone, I'd like if i may do get some opinions on this. I recently sold some wheels in the classifieds and on receipt of them the buyer has not been happy with them and asked for a refund. I have agreed to refund the money less 50% of my postal costs, i.e. it cost me £10 to post i'll give him back what he paid me less £5. He will have to pay to have them posted back to me as well.

I know he will incur more postage costs than me but from my opinion i'm still out of pocket and am not obliged to offer any refund, i didn't post them for him to look at i sold them.

Am i being fair or am i out of order?

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I'd remind him he could of seen them before purchase... sold as seen blah blah... and told him to Eff off...
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    If there's nothing wrong with them that you haven't already told him about then no refund. He takes his chances and if he doesn't like them he can sell them on himself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What was he not happy about? If you've covered faults in relation to the overall condition of the items then I think you are being more than fair. Ultimately, if you've not tried to hide anything it's up to the buyer to question the seller to make sure that the item matches their expectation.

And under these circumstances, I think Ebay would expect you to each cover your halves of the postage - but this isn't ebay.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    sounds like you are being extremely fair

as above, what's the issue, if your description was accurate, then barring the buyer noticing a defect you weren't aware of, i'd say it was a fair sale
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I know Barry didn't want me to comment on this post, but I can't hold my tongue any longer.

Here is the OP for the wheels http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12892153

Can anyone see any mention of the marks on the rim below the braking surface that has been caused by brake pads rubbing on the rims? I only noticed it in the pictures after I had paid for the wheels, and thought it didn't look too bad in the pictures, but is much worse in the flesh. The seller only admitted to the marks after I questioned him. If I lived closer then I would have inspected first, but I live in Ayrshire so a bit too far to travel.

Also the OP mentioned the rear bearings have been replaced. I have just striped the hubs and only 1 out of the 4 rear bearings has been replaced. Plus the front bearings need doing also. I have heard that the Planet X bearings are poor, so benefit of the doubt on that one, but out of order to claim the rears have been replaced when only 1 bearing has been done.

Now, who do you think is right now you know both sides of the story?

Yes I could send them back, but I'd be £15 out of pocket for Barry not being up front in his description. As it stands I'm going to replace the bearings and probably sell them on in good nick. That way I might get a bit more £ for them and I may not end up being worse off.

I'll leave it at that for now. I'm not about to leave - feedback or anything, I just hope that Barry learns from this and is a bit more open in future listings.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As you're in Scotland surely you should be happy at anything that's not round and made of wood to use as wheels?

Kuh eh? Kuh. Some people.
  • CiB wrote:
    As you're in Scotland surely you should be happy at anything that's not round and made of wood to use as wheels?

WTF?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:

WTF?

Sorry.

JOKE ALERT.

:)
  • I know Barry didn't want me to comment on this post, but I can't hold my tongue any longer.

Here is the OP for the wheels http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12892153

Can anyone see any mention of the marks on the rim below the braking surface that has been caused by brake pads rubbing on the rims? I only noticed it in the pictures after I had paid for the wheels, and thought it didn't look too bad in the pictures, but is much worse in the flesh. The seller only admitted to the marks after I questioned him. If I lived closer then I would have inspected first, but I live in Ayrshire so a bit too far to travel.

Also the OP mentioned the rear bearings have been replaced. I have just striped the hubs and only 1 out of the 4 rear bearings has been replaced. Plus the front bearings need doing also. I have heard that the Planet X bearings are poor, so benefit of the doubt on that one, but out of order to claim the rears have been replaced when only 1 bearing has been done.

Yes I could send them back, but I'd be £15 out of pocket for Barry not being up front in his description. As it stands I'm going to replace the bearings and probably sell them on in good nick. That way I might get a bit more £ for them and I may not end up being worse off.

I'll leave it at that for now. I'm not about to leave - feedback or anything, I just hope that Barry learns from this and is a bit more open in future listings.

Mitch although I'm sympathetic I have to say it really is a case of caveat emptor here. I don't think the wheels have been wildly misdescribed (other than a possible rear bearing reference) the OP isn't making out they are sunday best either (winter training or cyclo cross) You admitted yourself you didn't spot marks in the photos until too late. Now you're going to do the bearings and sell them on, why? With the extra work you have put into them will they not be satisfactory?

I don't live in a remote part of Scotland but I do live on a small island in the Irish Sea. If I buy used goods I know there is an element of risk. When I buy new stuff for my bike it is done 99% of the time through the LBS so I can either try before I buy or take it straight back to the counter if there is a problem and not incur postage.

Don't sell them on get out and ride 'em!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Can anyone see any mention of the marks on the rim below the braking surface that has been caused by brake pads rubbing on the rims? I only noticed it in the pictures after I had paid for the wheels, and thought it didn't look too bad in the pictures, but is much worse in the flesh. The seller only admitted to the marks after I questioned him. If I lived closer then I would have inspected first, but I live in Ayrshire so a bit too far to travel.

It's a tricky one as a buyer and seller may have wildly differing subjective opinions on what constitutes important information. Scratches on rims or wear below the braking surface, whilst not aesthetically pleasing to a buyer, may not be considered significant by the seller if it hasn't affected performance. It's always best to be as explicit as possible to avoid such confusion.

Whilst the seller hasn't been wholly explicit about their condition, has he lied about the information he has supplied? The rear wheel has had new bearings (he didn't state he'd replaced them all) so were the wheels true and did they have life left in them?
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I believe that Micheal and myself have reached an agreement now so please consider this thread closed. Thank you.