Saint Chainring Compatibility?

nyko
nyko Posts: 28
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've currently got an SLX 22/32/bashguard setup but keep spinning out on anything flat/downhill. Seen a cheap second hand Saint 38tooth + resin bashguard going and I reckon swapping the 32 with a 38 should be good for me.

Is it compatible?

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    might might not. it is the correct bolt fitting but you may need a file. and if the ring is not for gears you will have fun shifting. also is your mech capable of shifting 22 to 38?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nyko
    Hmm yeah wasn't so sure how it'd cope with such a big step-up between 22-38, i guess ideally i'd like 26/38/bashguard but I saw this cheap and hoped it'd be fine. The mech is an XT M770, not sure if that's capable.

As far as compatibility, would the the saint ring + bashguard would fit with my slx cranks + 9speed chainset?
    I can always pickup a cheap 26chainring to replace the 22 if theres trouble shifting the large gap, so i'm not too concerned about that aspect.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nyko wrote:
    As far as compatibility, would the the saint ring + bashguard would fit with my slx cranks + 9speed chainset?
    Nicks already answered that once.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The Saint 38T ring will be a plain ring with no shift ramps, it is designed to be used as a single ring set up. They are quite deep teeth as well to keep the chain on when downhilling. So even if your mech could cope with the jump between the ring sizes it would have a hell of a job getting the chain on and off the big ring.

A better option would be a set of M785 XT rings in 38 and 24T and buying a bashguard.
  • nyko
    Ah yes thats exactly what I needed to know. I'll just take the bashguard as it's cheap but i'll leave the ring. Cheers for the help MisterP and Nick.