VooDoo Hoodoo vs Boardman MX Race

Tyedi
Tyedi Posts: 3
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I got back into biking a few months ago with a basic but solid hybrid bike, but now am looking to get a bit more into mountain biking for which the rigid frame and V brakes of my hybrid aren't really suitable.

My employers offer a bike on the cycle2work scheme every 12 months so I thought this year I would take the offer and get myself a decent entry level mountain bike for about £500.

Being limited to Halfords and after reading BikeRadar's Best mountain bikes under £500 buyers guide I decided to go for the VooDoo Hoodoo which was exactly the price point I was looking at and from the review it sounds like a great bike.

However, yesterday three new Boardman bikes were announced, including the Boardman Performance MX Race. Interestingly it's listed on Halfords under Hyrbid Bikes, though the BikeRadar news report describes it as a mountain bike; frankly I'm more inclined to trust BikeRadar.

I had briefly toyed with the idea of taking the full £1000 on offer as part of the cycle to work scheme, in which case I would have likely gone for the Boardman Team FS (which it seems has gone up in price £50 since I last checked) based on the excellent review.

If this new Boardman MX Race is anything like it's bigger Team FS brother than it's likely to be a very good bike, which presents me with a dilemma; VooDoo Hoodoo or Boardman MX Race?

Unfortunately pretty much all of my still very limited biking knowledge has come from reading various articles on this site in the last few months, so I have no idea which one is likely to be the better bike.

Of course you can only really know by riding the bikes but regardless could someone out there with more knowledge than me take a look at the 2 bikes specs and tell me which they think, in theory, is the better bike?

As far as usage goes I'll be starting out with some easy to medium difficulty trails, probably taking it fairly easy until I build some confidence. However I would like a bike that will handle something a bit harder if I feel I can too.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Tom.

Comments

• LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    The Voodoo looks better to me got hydraulic disc brakes and decent fork, the Boardman does look kind of like a hybrid with those wheels, I am not sure what sort of fork it is either, never seen it on a bike before. If you want to do trails then it is the would have to be the Voodoo out of those two
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I've got the Boardman FS Team, superb bike, would receommend it to anyone, but you're right, it has gone up 50 quid, that'll be so that they can put it on sale on Boxing Day at.....wait for it....£50 off listed price :roll:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Tyedi wrote:
    Interestingly it's listed on Halfords under Hyrbid Bikes, though the BikeRadar news report describes it as a mountain bike; frankly I'm more inclined to trust BikeRadar.
      interestingley on boardsmans own site its listed under
    hybrid
      http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_mx_race.html
        with 700c wheels and a 63mm fork, thats exactly what it is
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • I recently bought a Voodoo Bokor and am very happy with it.

I believe they're being discontinued so try to get a discount off the bike, I got £70 off mine and £20 of free accessories.
    • anj132
      anj132 Posts: 299
      What Chez said, the MX is a hybrid so for off road duties you are better looking at the hoodoo.

The similar boardman bike to the hoodoo would be the comp HT however that seems to have gone up recently :( I would rate the boardman over the hoodoo, not sure by £200 though.
    • Tyedi
      Tyedi Posts: 3
      Thanks for all the advice y'all, I'll be going for the Hoodoo then. Looks like the MX Race was a Hybrid after all!
    • The Rookie
      The Rookie Posts: 27,812
      Skinny tyres, tall gearing, short travel, narrow stays = Hybrid....
      Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.