What exactly do I need to clean and maintain my road bike?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited December 2012 in Workshop
I bought muc off chain cleaner but that's it.

What do I need to buy and how do I use it? I'm useless at cleaning haha.

Thanks

Comments

• kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    An old tooth brush for the cassette, rag, Gt85, chain oil, allen keys are a good place to start. Others will probably suggest other things too.

This link may help you too:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ike-15974/

hope this helps.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Thanks mate that does help!
  • I bought some gt85 and some pedros syn lube.

I found that the gt85 shouldn't be used as a lube bit as a water disperser...

Does this mean I clean the chain with the muc off chain cleaner, then sponge it down with water, dry the chain with a rag, use the gt85 as a water disperser, wipe it down again, then use the pedros lube then wipe down another final time?

Is that all I need to do to the chain area?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    WD40
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Thats a fine description of what to do. Will help keep the chain and gears etc in good condition and prolong their life.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Lovely! Thank you.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    bucket, sponge, hot water, old brushes, old towels to dry and detergent. I use either cheap car shampoo or a very dilute solution of water soluble degreaser if its really filthy. Does the same job as fancy expensive cleaners and you can buy it in bulk containers from wilkinsons or DIY shops.

The trick to prolonging life of your transmisson is good chain hygiene :) For really OCD chain cleaning, if you really want to clean it well then you should either get a chain bath or a split link and remove the chain. For a through clean I soak the chain in degreaser solution then rinse that off using a kettle full of boiling water, it really flushes the crap out. Then dry it thoroughly, put it back on the bike and re-oil, prefer not use WD40 or similar because it gets trapped in the chain bushes and will break down any lube that you add. Once oiled you should cycle the chain to help the lube work into the bushes and flush out any water then wipe it down with a rag.

end