Advice on "customer service"

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
I just want some advice on how to deal with this. As you may have read my rant I sold an item on ebay that hasn't arrived. It's been 7 days since posting but the buyer needs it for Monday and is getting anxious (and pestering).

Their latest message is "ok well its not arived and its been 7 days plz advise thanx".

wtf advise am I supposed to give. Other than, next time when you need something in a hurry, ask the seller if they will provide a tracked / quicker delivery option.

I have proof of posting so was going to post something like
I have the proof of posting so can send that to you. However Royal Mail do not consider a parcel lost until 15 days after expected delivery (which would have been the 24th / 26th of November) so they will not do anything until the end of next week.

I'm afraid there is nothing we can do but wait and hope it arrives before you need it.
Think that's OK.

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Looks about right to me. Starting your response with a little note of empathy might nip the likely argument in the bud and make it a bit less stressful for you though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's the reverse of the situation we usually get on here! Ebay terms and conditions list things about what to do and when when something doesn't turn up but the bottom line is that the buyer didn't give themselves enough time to ensure that the item arrived in time. Not sure what else you can do. I'd probably email a scan of the proof of posting though as at least it shows the proof and shows willingness to communicate. I recently bought a saddle on ebay. It was at least 3 weeks arriving. I contacted the seller after a week or so and he rapidly replied and said he'd been in a bike accident and broken a joint. TBH, it wasn't a bad excuse! However, he still didn't communicate after that and it was still slow to arrive so I did wonder if he was messing me around. I still gave him positive feedback but I scored him low on delivery time and communication because of it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vermin wrote:
    Looks about right to me. Starting your response with a little note of empathy might nip the likely argument in the bud and make it a bit less stressful for you though.

Hi, Agree with the above but would NOT send the orgininal proof of posting. I'd email them the details (time/date etc) and offer to send a copy as a show of good faith.

Also, the floods may have delayed postage. Certainly did where I was.

Cheers
  • suzyb
    OK I'll scan the proof of posting and send a link to the image so they can see it.

But if I don't send the original and they want to chase Royal Mail, can they do so with a copy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    suzyb wrote:
    OK I'll scan the proof of posting and send a link to the image so they can see it.

But if I don't send the original and they want to chase Royal Mail, can they do so with a copy.
    Royal Mail will just tell them it's not late yet. Unless extra was paid for a faster than normal service.
  • suzyb
    And then send the proof to them. I thought people were suggesting not sending them the pop at all.

I just checked the order on ebay. Estimated delivery date is 28 November to 1 December including postage and the 3 working days I quote for dispatch. This particular item I was just really quick at posting it so it was posted same day as payment. Yet they're moaning it's late :roll:
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I have to deal with this sort of thing every day and there are a number of things to consider. Firstly Royal Mail are now in Christmas mode, their priority is to complete deliveries before Christmas and any attempt to meet normal delivery targets are out of the window. It is also worryingly common for them to be unable to make delivery due to the item being too large for the letterbox but neglect to leave a card, even without a tracked service you can check this by inputting the recipient's address on the Royal Mail site, they can then re-arrange delivery or go and collect it. You should always use a signed for service when selling on ebay because there are so many unscrupulous people who will take delivery of an order and then deny having received it. Although Royal Mail's customer service team will not normally investigate for 15 days for standard mail, if you can figure out which is the local delivery office for the recipient and get through to the manager (you will have to contact the main customer service team to get the number) they can usually just ask the postie if he delivered it or not. I have sent thousands of items with Royal Mail and have found the loss rate to be less than 1 in 3000, however delivery times can be unreliable.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Unfortunately people have been spoiled by what is usually extremely good service by RM and many other delivery companies. Therefore they can be very unforgiving if it's not in their hand immediately.
  • suzyb
    ffs this person is really starting to annoy me. I've pointed out it takes Royal Mail 2 weeks before they will even listen to any complaint and yet I get this.
    hi,i gave it the 3 days like you sujested still nothing plz advise as its been well over the time now, thanx
    It still hasn't even been 2 weeks since it was posted, never mind 15 days since the due date of delivery :roll:

*sigh* I really don't have time to deal with this crap. The buyer isn't even some 0 feedback new member. They've sold and bought on ebay more than I have yet their messaging me every 2 days asking where their item is.
    It is also worryingly common for them to be unable to make delivery due to the item being too large for the letterbox but neglect to leave a card, even without a tracked service you can check this by inputting the recipient's address on the Royal Mail site, they can then re-arrange delivery or go and collect it.
    Does anyone know where on the site I can check this.

I want to try and check before messaging them back and reminding them it wont be until Monday before Royal Mail consider the item lost. If it hasn't arrived then I'll just refund and try and get compensation from RM.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's not like you've been unhelpful. Just respond with the facts you've laid out here and keep sending the same reply to them until either they receive the parcel or you are able to follow it up with Royal Mail. Also ask them what they expect you to (reasonably) do because them just banging on about it not arriving won't change anything. Bear in mind it's 15 working days from the due delivery date as well.

I don't want to discriminate, but I suspect anyone who emails in text speak and full of spelling mistakes probably has a very limited attention span!
  • suzyb
    And I go on to ebay today to respond and see the buyer hsa opened an issue and completely lied on it.

Which as far as I'm aware means I'm screwed as despite me doing nothing wrong, ebay is on the side of the buyer.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What lies? Ebay should have a record of the email conversation, the auction end and payment times, you have the proof of posting and you've responded in a way that conforms to their rules. I'd have thought it would all work in your favour.

Don't forget that the buyer is clearly pretty thick so they won't make a convincing case if they are lying. The lies are probably a good thing from your perspective.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,698
    Would have thought you could present the same explanation you have to us, including a scan of the proof of posting and point about 15 days from due delivery date. That should answer any complaint. Bottom line is this halfwit didn't order in time, or should have asked for special/next day delivery if it was that important that he received it by a certain date.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • suzyb
    Rolf F wrote:
    What lies? Ebay should have a record of the email conversation, the auction end and payment times, you have the proof of posting and you've responded in a way that conforms to their rules. I'd have thought it would all work in your favour.
    They said I haven't responded to messages when I have.

Anyway regardless of whether the person is a half wit or not I've sent them a refund (as much as it galls me having to refund someone that lied). I posted on ebay's forums and it was pointed out that it is me that has the contract with royal mail not the buyer, if they don't want to wait they don't have to. And even though I had proof of posting it was unlikely ebay would rule in my favour as I hadn't sent the item by trackable post.

Will know the next time though.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nightmare.

I'm in the opposite camp at the minute - ordered a bike light mid September, didn't arrive, eamiled and waited tll 20th November when it should have turned up due to Communist Party elections, so contacted again and they promised to send a new one - still haven't had it.

Bit of a mare your case, and you can bet they won't send it back when it does arrive.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

What kind of messages? Ones through ebay's message system? If so then ebay will know what was sent and when. (too late now, I know.)

Also, if the item is lost then can you claim for compensation from RM? A bit of hassle, but at least you should get the sale price of the item back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,698
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Anyway regardless of whether the person is a half wit or not I've sent them a refund (as much as it galls me having to refund someone that lied). I posted on ebay's forums and it was pointed out that it is me that has the contract with royal mail not the buyer, if they don't want to wait they don't have to. And even though I had proof of posting it was unlikely ebay would rule in my favour as I hadn't sent the item by trackable post.

Will know the next time though.

True, but they didn't ask for delivery by a certain date, when they purchased, and you didn't undertake to deliver by then, so yes, they can cancel if they no longer want to proceed, but that does not indicate a fault on your behalf.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • suzyb
    bails87 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

What kind of messages? Ones through ebay's message system? If so then ebay will know what was sent and when. (too late now, I know.)

Also, if the item is lost then can you claim for compensation from RM? A bit of hassle, but at least you should get the sale price of the item back.
    Yes, through ebay's message system. Not that it matters now.

I've asked them to inform me if the item is delivered. I very much doubt that they will but you never know.

And come Monday I'll contact RM's customer service and see what they say.

And whilst that has been going on I've had another item where the buyer hasn't paid :roll: