Garage storage advice during Winter

millsey_awm
millsey_awm Posts: 54
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Question for you knowledgeable folks, in the winter months do you take any precautions when storing your bikes in the garage? Do you bother to cover them up with anything?

Thanks everyone :D

Comments

• I know quite a few people who have had bikes stolen from their garages. No real reason to cover up the bike as such, but investing in one of the locks you drill into the concrete floor could potentially be worthwhile!
  • In the rafters, motorbike locks holding everything around the beams but other than a good clean before it goes away, nothing more. The garage is alarmed though.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    If garage is dry and secure nothing to be done.

Don't be tempted to keep garage warm with gas or parafin heaters though.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Tell the wife to STFU and store it in the house.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    make sure it is clean dry and covered the essentials with GT85
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • DavidJB wrote:

I would, but she moaned about me using rollers in the house. So now i have to freeze my bits off in the garage. Charming!

Ain't it funny how women have a real hatred for things such as bikes. Oh, and wires of course.... :mrgreen:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    only thing i tend to do is get the bike off the garage floor and hang on a proper 'hanger' in winter time cos my garage does tend to flood a little after heavy rain, but apart from that, nothing.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    DavidJB wrote:

I would, but she moaned about me using rollers in the house. So now i have to freeze my bits off in the garage. Charming!

Ain't it funny how women have a real hatred for things such as bikes. Oh, and wires of course.... :mrgreen:

maybe pedal harder and generate a bit of body heat! I've usually quickly warmed up and have usually ended up propping the garage doors open.
  • Used to keep my bikes in the garage but it is clearly a bit damp in there and bikes started going rusty.

If you take the bikes out there then keep an eye on them and at first sign of rust bring it into the warm and dry like the other members of the family. ALternatively might want to spray some oil on the sensitive bits!

Oh, and a mate of mine just had bike stolen from garage despite being locked down to the concrete floor inside the garage.
  • If you are running Di2 I would take the battery inside too.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I keep all my, and the rest of my family's, bikes in our garage - the roof of whihc leaks like a sieve.

None of them go rusty from being left in the garage in my opinion. My 6 year old steel framed bike has no rust patches inside, or out.

Sometimes being put away wet can lead to rust in cap screw heads etc but that's about it. Keep your chain oiled too.

basically, i wouldn't worry about it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Make sure you keep your tyres reasonably well inflated.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Fr Howie wrote:
    Oh, and a mate of mine just had bike stolen from garage despite being locked down to the concrete floor inside the garage.

How'd they get it? I'm a bit paranoid about my bikes so any 'real life' anecdotes would be helpful.

My current setup in my shed is some of this concreted into the floor with rebar through the ends in the concrete
    http://www.gsproducts.co.uk/store/index ... ts_id=1174
    Then another length of that wrapped through the 'ground anchor' and through the frames of my bikes locked through the ends with two oxford locks which also go through an abus chain that also goes through the frame.
    I've a separate abus lock/chain that goes through the frame and two separate wire alarms locks that go through the wheels and frames.
    Even with this set up I reckon someone would with a good bolt cropper set could get through relatively quickly, but the alarms would be going off from quite early on.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5