Half decent digital camera for a £100 budget?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,410
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
Any recommendations ?

...and for those who will say 'This is a bike forum'. I'll take pics of my bikes, that will keep this post related.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If it was me then I would be looking at second hand DSLRs but that depends on what you want it for.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,163
    How desperate are you for it?

I got a compact camera a couple of years ago in the January sales for £99 (reduced from £199). It takes reasonably good pictures but has limited features.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    This is a good site to get reviews on any recommendations.

From experience the quality of the optics makes more difference than the number of pixels. My best ever compact digital was a 2.1 megapixel Sony camera with a great lens.

I've had 3 different Samsungs so far and they have all been sh!t.
  • pinno
    How desperate are you for it?

I got a compact camera a couple of years ago in the January sales for £99 (reduced from £199). It takes reasonably good pictures but has limited features.

What model ?
  • pinno
    GiantMike wrote:
    This is a good site to get reviews on any recommendations.

From experience the quality of the optics makes more difference than the number of pixels. My best ever compact digital was a 2.1 megapixel Sony camera with a great lens.

I've had 3 different Samsungs so far and they have all been sh!t.

Which Sony ?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Which Sony ?

Sony DSC-S50. Images here: http://www.dpchallenge.com/camera.php?CAMERA_ID=157
  • Depending on what you have, these days you could get just as good if not better from your mobile phone than a £100 compact.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    OK it's £20 over budget but this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePi ... 975&sr=1-1

I have the 12mp version and it's way better than half decent.
  • pinno
    Bloody hell. Bidded on this:

Dogs bollox

I wasn't here and it went for a song a £62.00 !! Don't know what it would have gone for had we got into a bidding war and thats what i'll console myself with.
    I bought this based on reviews of Sony and GiantMike - Zeiss lens, 16mp:

Okay, nothin fancy

Didn't really want a fancy doo-dah to be honest. I have an old fashioned Minolta SRT101b with a zoom lens. Still love 'proper' photography for all its shortfalls.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Try DP Review....

http://www.dpreview.com/
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Buy mine off me!!! It's a brand new Nikon cool pix l120. Cost me 240 quid and only used it for taking photos on one day for a small uni assignment! Hasn't come out the carry bag since! Would come with rechargeable batteries with charging station, 8gb sd card and carrycase! Still have the box too with guides, CDs etc.... Could do it for 150?

Edit: 14 mega pixel and 24x zoom
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I Have panasonic Lumix for sale as just bought a new one.

12 x optical zoom, usual bells and whistles, rechargeable, everything included. Cost £200+, on a buy it now for £70

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160930558657? ... 1555.l2649
  • pinno
    I bought the Sony - thanks for the offers folks. The OH put tremendous pressure on me and I relented. I'll trade the concession with some time off to pedal the metal. Don't worry, the trousers shift from person to person in this quirky menage a quatre. 1 woman + 2 girls and me. Outnumbered.
    When the girls grow up and their menstrual cycles syncronise, muggins will have to go away for a week here and there :D:D Guess what i'll be doing...