Which Hardtail from Evans? (£1300 budget)

theotherjake
theotherjake Posts: 237
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have decided to replace my 2010 Boardman Pro with a new hardtail from Evans using a ride2ework voucher (£1000). As they let you top up I have a budget of approx £1300 and was thinking of the 2013 Trek elite 8.7.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/elite-87-2013-mountain-bike-ec042079?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Comments

• Personally, I'd never buy a bike from Evans. So much better value out there.
  • I agree, ideally I want another Boardman but I have a ride2work voucher. Unless anyone knows a way of spending the voucher elsewhere?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    The best value stuff they do are the Pinnacle bikes, which as far as I'm aware are nice bikes. Do you want a racy type hardtail or more of a trail machine?

That Trek looks like it will be decent, but is overpriced.
  • Racey, as its primary use will be winter tarmac commuting (yes I have a road bike!). Overpriced? its mainly XT kit apart from the Deore brakes.
  • EH_Rob
    Pretty much the same bike from Canyon costs £850 or something, so I'd say £1300 is expensive for what it is in my opinion. That isn't to say it's a bad bike though. Having had a quick browse through Evans website it might be your best bet if you are set on spending all the money. That said, there are some cheaper bikes on there that are still solid and will do the same job. I guess there's no point replacing your Boardman with a worse bike though!
  • EH_Rob
    Out of interest, why do you want to change?
  • Well the Boardman has done a lot of miles and the drivetrain is now worn out, yesterday one of the shifters stopped working and as I use the bike to commute its got to be reliable.

But after reading the comments perhaps I should keep the Boardman and replace the chain set and mechs/shifters. If I am honest there isn't a single bike Evans sell (within budget) that I actually like the look of more than the Boardman!
  • yes, unless you're after a different type of bike repairing and maybe upgrading is surely the better way to go? Even with the voucher, the exercise is going to cost you c £800 quid all in. You could get the Boardman running smoothly & upgarde some bits if you like for much less than that?
  • Your right and thats what I am going to do! Thanks everyone!
  • EH_Rob
    Yup, sod the voucher and get on the German websites for the cheapest drivetrain deals.
  • Slightly off topic but should I stick with 3x9 or look at 2x10, 3x10? bearing in mind the bike is used on the road for 80% of the time...
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just get what you've got working again and drop the cash you were going to spend on a road bike.
  • EH_Rob
    Going to 3x10 wouldn't benefit you given the use of the bike - stick to 3x9 as mcnultycop says, money might be best spent elsewhere if you have to spend it!