Attempted bike mugging?

alidaf
alidaf Posts: 147
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
I was riding home yesterday down Whitbarrow/Warrington road, after Lymm, nearing the end in a fairly rural and pretty dark section. A lad, suddenly leapt from the far side of the road and sprinted towards me. I shot past him but I could hear him chasing me for a short while before giving up. He was looking straight at me when he burst out of his hiding spot and it was a real sprint like he was hoping to rugby tackle me, but if he had wanted to knock me off, wouldn't he have been better waiting on my side and trying to falcon punch me or batting me with a stick or something. I'm anxious enough to have got a lift in today and maybe I am over analysing but it all happened so fast. I don't know what to make of it. Should I call the police or could it have been far less sinister and I've mis-read the event? I got the missus to drive up past where it happened and the spot that he came from is just a small piece of waste ground with a big farm gate hidden around the corner. On my side was a horse paddock. Traffic is normally fairly quiet at that time of night but I often pass a cyclist or two on mountain bikes.

Comments

• might be worth mentioning it to the police just in case, let them decide?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive been chased like that mate

an i defo thought they were after the bike

report it, if i were you

the cretins crawl out of the estates on runcorn.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    alidaf wrote:
    falcon punch

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/falcon-punch

Well I never! Every day is indeed a school day!

+1 on reporting it, in the off chance that the police might make some enquiries
  • alidaf
    kelsen wrote:
    alidaf wrote:
    falcon punch
    Well I never! Every day is indeed a school day!

It's a relatively new term to me too and I have a black belt in Wing Chun (not to be confused with Wang Chung)! I do like a good meme though. Ermagerd has me in fits but then I have a very childish sense of humour.
  • alidaf
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ive been chased like that mate

an i defo thought they were after the bike

report it, if i were you

the cretins crawl out of the estates on runcorn.....

I know what you mean but I find the Altrincham end of my commute far worse than Runcorn. The local industrial estates seem to employ chavved up boy racers, and are run by the typical fat cat bosses with the biggest exec cars on the planet. None of them seem to be able to drive below the speed limit, or overtake sensibly. At least Runcorn is closer to the home side! I'm from Liverpool myself but live between Runcorn and Warrington.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Another reason to carry a hefty lock.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539

+1

A couple of years ago I was on foot and saw a young lad riding up the road towards me on a BMX. Not 20 yards in front of me a bigger lad jumped into the road, pushed him off the bike into the road and stole his bike. Moments later as he passed me I performed what I have just learned is called a Falcon Punch on the thief and stole the bike back, after giving the git a sound kicking. Expecting the original owner of the BMX to be pleased with it's recovery, I was disappointed to find him most upset because I had just beaten up his brother. Sometimes you just can't win.
  • alidaf
    I was disappointed to find him most upset because I had just beaten up his brother. Sometimes you just can't win.

Lol!
  • Another reason to carry a hefty lock.

{Lots of relevant text}...Expecting the original owner of the BMX to be pleased with it's recovery, I was disappointed to find him most upset because I had just beaten up his brother. Sometimes you just can't win.

Day = Made
    :D
    Ta
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918

+1

A couple of years ago I was on foot and saw a young lad riding up the road towards me on a BMX. Not 20 yards in front of me a bigger lad jumped into the road, pushed him off the bike into the road and stole his bike. Moments later as he passed me I performed what I have just learned is called a Falcon Punch on the thief and stole the bike back, after giving the git a sound kicking. Expecting the original owner of the BMX to be pleased with it's recovery, I was disappointed to find him most upset because I had just beaten up his brother. Sometimes you just can't win.
    A great candidate for post of the year :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Wrath Rob wrote:

+1

A great candidate for post of the year :lol:
    Excellent. You are indeed Fabulous.
  • Another reason to carry a hefty lock.

+1

That is pure class! *chuckles*
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Based on a true story too :D
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179

+1

Fantastic! LOL'd and got a strange look from a few people in the office.
    FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now the keyboard is fooked and I need to make another CoT....

thanks anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.