Strava Lovers - Meet VeloViewer.com

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited December 2013 in Road general
Apologies for the cross posting but some of you don't venture over to Commuting Chat and you might find this interesting.

Just seen this linked from a post on Road.cc. Basically its a Strava aggregator/reporting tool that can also create things like this

SigImage.php?a=25940&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=s&f=abcdefghij&z=a.gif

You can extract various graphs/reports from the data, e.g. showing how far behind the KOM you are on various segments. Interesting stuff
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    What an utterly pointless p!ssing contest tool.
    More problems but still living....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    amaferanga wrote:

This
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    So you boys don't use Strava then?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I think the novelty of Strava is wearing off for many
  • napoleond
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

This.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga wrote:

Oh, I do love an insightful, positive contribution to a thread!

Strava user or racing snob? Hard to tell. . . :?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    In my opinion Strava is a tool for vain idiots, and nothing will make me change my mind

unless I finally get that elusive KOM on the Newton hill
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    My c0ck is THIS big |
    |>
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I love Strava, keeps me motivated. For me, its a pi$$ing contest with myself!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I think Stravas great (gasp) and if anyone feels so strongly agaisnt as ppl do on here. They obviously has more issues than just strava its self.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

This.

Another hand up here!

For round my area it was alright for competing against the ‘honest’ folk who were using it way back then. But in the last six months or so we’ve got the chaingangs, the wind surfers (who think they’ve put out 600 watts) the bitter riders who consistently fail to take the KOM so flag the rider in front of them and the drivers (no HRM on this ride eh?). In the wise words of one of my mates...it’s all bit pish isn’t it.
  • NITR8s wrote:
    I think Stravas great (gasp) and if anyone feels so strongly agaisnt as ppl do on here. They obviously has more issues than just strava its self.

I think your issue might be spelling and grammar...
  • For round my area it was alright for competing against the ‘honest’ folk who were using it way back then. But in the last six months or so we’ve got the chaingangs, the wind surfers (who think they’ve put out 600 watts) the bitter riders who consistently fail to take the KOM so flag the rider in front of them and the drivers (no HRM on this ride eh?). In the wise words of one of my mates...it’s all bit pish isn’t it.

Blimey what part of the country do you ride in? Seen very few instances of the above around me (Pennine Yorkshire). Personally I like it, good to see what others are doing and the number of strong riders in these parts keep you fully grounded! Mainly use it to compare my own performances, but always fun to see just how badly I compare to clubmates and others.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its just a bit of fun, good to motivate you on solo rides. If there's a bunch and I'm feeling competitive I'd rather race against proper people, but most of the time there isn't.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    If you need an app to motivate you, then you're probably cycling for the wrong reasons.
  • I bet most of those who disliked this post, entered their strava ID to see their stats 8)
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I use Strava to:

- count my miles
    - see if I'm improving
    - (occasionally) gasp at how much slower I am than the fast guys (and girls).

I'm so far down the list on almost all the segments that comparing myself against others is pointless, so I invariably just click 'My results'. If someone I knew locally was a similar standard to me, that might change.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • I think this is great (SORRY.)

Strava's a great tool for measuring training and comparing performance both personally over time, against other riders and with friends.

It is though a tad limited in how it reports things, this website helps.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    bompington wrote:
    In my opinion Strava is a tool for vain idiots, and nothing will make me change my mind

I'LL give you £25000 to change your mind

unless I finally get that elusive KOM on the Newton hill
  • I must be a vain idiot then 'cos I love it, and it's doubled my time on the bike this year (discovered it in January).

If I can get a KOM (I have 4 pages worth, but not alot of competition here in France), then I feel quite chuffed. If someone pinches a KOM off me, it motivates me to get out and try and do it faster.

It's not perfect, wind, pelotons, etc. will skew things, but you can usually sniff out the cheats.

And a local pro uses it too, so it's great for measuring yourself against a pro-level standard. (5 hours at 44km/h anyone?!!)

I don't see why anyone would be pissed off with it. If it gives cycling a boost then live and let live.

Not everyone is ready for full on racing yet.
  • The anti Strava thing is so obviously stupid. Why be so vitriolic against something that adds so much fun to cycling for so many people? Pure snobbery.
  • It's just a bit of fun. I'm sure those that don't like it don't use it but for me it provides some added banter between mates, it lets me compare my times up certain hills to see how well I'm progressing with my climbing and it just adds something a bit different to my riding.
  • sandwats wrote:
    The anti Strava thing is so obviously stupid. Why be so vitriolic against something that adds so much fun to cycling for so many people? Pure snobbery.
    word
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • napoleond
    It used to be good but now it's infiltrated by drivers it is pointless. I measure my progress on training peaks...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It used to be good but now it's infiltrated by drivers it is pointless. I measure my progress on training peaks...

...and there are no shortage of websites that will manipulate your data so you can claim the KoM on any bit of road or trail that you fancy.

Not to mention the 173 segments that pop up on a 50km ride, just so somebody can claim to be the fastest between 2 meaningless points on the road.

Still useful for simply sharing ride data with friends though...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    NapoleonD wrote:

How is what other people do relevant to your progress?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • I now measure my progress on my mate who’s much stronger than me (not that I didn’t pre Strava). If he could be arsed to get a GPS device he’d take loads of ‘proper’ KOM’s round hereI now measure my progress on my mate who’s much stronger than me (not that I didn’t pre Strava). If he could be arsed to get a GPS device he’d take loads of ‘proper’ KOM’s round here i.e. segments with an actual gradient.

LOL @ "173 segments that pop up on a 50km ride" - indeed.
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    I like it, a good bit of fun. It certainly gives me a bit of incentive on solo rides, gives me a segment to put in a bit of extra effort.

I am never going to be in the top 50 but it gives me something to measure progress against. Oh and its free.....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Veloviewer seems well OTT to me..... nope not interested... obviously of interest to communters for some reason.
    Strava need to get ANT+ sorted or it WILL get left behind sooner rather than later by rival apps.

Yours
    Editor in Chief : 'Strava Bagging' in Cake Stop (that bit maimed by said communters during 2012)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    NapoleonD wrote:
    "it used to be good", there was a time when you found it good?, now it's just other peoples turn to find it good and useful. Let them have their day, you're a reasonable guy i'm sure you don't mean to be derogatory to people new to strava or who genuinely find it useful, not all people will race/train hard but get a kick out of seeing how they compare. Nothing at all wrong in that.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....