Budget Roadie - B'twin Tribal 3???

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Currently got a 2nd hand MTB (v nice Orange Clockwork) but never take it off the road and MTB doesn't interest me in slightest so I'm looking for my 1st road bike and frankly with a wife, a toddler and a baby - cash is short!

Therefore I was looking a 'best budget bike' lists and I see the Tribal 3 for £300 crops up fairly regularly.

Anyone got any experience of these and also sizing (I can't figure out Decathalon sizing at all!) I'm 6ft 2, 14 and bit stone and inside leg of about 34 inch.

I appreciate it's not goning to be top end or anything but will it be ok for commute and few longer weekend rides (40-50 mile) and odd (1-2 yr) sportives or is it a total BSO. Or should I save for another year and look for something around £500 mark. Any higher is totally out of reach (at least until kids leave home in say...18 years time!!)

Cheers
Triban 3

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    It will be fine mate and any ones that are 500 quid from the bigger manugacturers will have the same kit anyway, Shimano 2300 and the likes.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    for an entry level bike that is absolutely fine for winter use and beyond, and it's cheap, you can't go wrong, with shimano as zx6man says too.
  • Its had great reviews so it seems a great bike for the cash.

i'm 6'2" and have a 34" inside leg and ride a 60cm but each bike is different.

My local Decathlon has a range of sizes in store so it may be best to pop down and have a sit on one. some folk potter round the aisle pedalling too if you can get away with it.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • I'm thinking of getting the bike aswell i have test rided it a few times it quite good it even difficult to find a new bike with triple crank and carbon fork for about £500 go to ur nearest decathlon store to try it out it defo worth it to try before u buy
  • i had the triban in a size 60 and im also 6'2 fitted fine. Was an excellent bike took everything i threw at it.
  • Sounds like way forward. Stores are all long way from me. Think 60cm frame is right based on everything I've heard. Now just need to convince the boss......

Thanks all.
    On a more amusing note. Guy on gumtree selling 2nd hand one for more than it is brand new!
    Triban 3