Man down! Thought I'd sneak one in on you.

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Not one to be left out. I just thought I'd join the rest of you and sneak one in before the end of November.

Coming down a little country lane this morning on my way to work, down into a dip that is always in the shade. Off camber corner + bit of ice = me sliding along the road on my side. Thankfully, I don't much like this corner at the best of times, so had scrubbed a lot of my speed on the run-in.

Picked myself up, threw my leg over the bike and............. down I go again.

Luckily nobody was about to witness this, or I may have to kill myself.

No damage I can make out at this time, handle bars are a little wonky, and I've got some cuts and scrapes up my arm & leg. Other than that though I'm all good.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    This has gone beyond funny now. I'm sure the general cycling fail that's been November 2012 wasn't this bad in 2011. Will we be reminiscing about it next year?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I remember November 2010... or was it even 2009 when we had another large spate of these. I'm not sure it was as bad as this lot, but it was pretty bad.

Here's hoping it clears up in December.
  • To be fair, this time last year I'd already come off the bike and had my leg in a cast waiting for my tib/fib to heal so they could then reconstruct my knee.
    On balance, 2012 has (so far) involved significantly less fail for me than 2011 :lol:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I remember November 2010... or was it even 2009?

Ha, ha, brilliant! :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited November 2012
    I blame the Americans

Well they call this time of the year The Fall.

Can't be a coincidence.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    To be fair, this time last year I'd already come off the bike and had my leg in a cast waiting for my tib/fib to heal so they could then reconstruct my knee.
    On balance, 2012 has (so far) involved significantly less fail for me than 2011 :lol:
    Always good to find the positives. Glad it's only cuts and scrapes this time.
    I was going to try for my second ride of November 2012 tomorrow. Hand still isn't really up to it, maybe I should wait for December.
  • Forget the helmet/ no helmet debate, I think a good portion of us would see more benefit from a set of these:

spokey_joe_stabalisers.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    With the temps down ATM its not going to be long before my morning commutes involve a dose of ice skating each day grrrr
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    So who hasn't fallen off yet this month.

If you haven't its Final Destination time...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I went out on my MTB on saturday because I was didn't want to become of statistic, not commuting obviously but I still crashed anyway :roll:

First proper crash in about 15 years :x
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin wrote:
    With the temps down ATM its not going to be long before my morning commutes involve a dose of ice skating each day grrrr

Yeah - my forecast widget thingy is showing 6/-4 Tomorrow, 5/-2 Friday and 4/-3 Saturday :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ouch -4 mine says 1 I have full bibs for then first time this winter aka the summer
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Looking at -2C tonight and tomorrow night. Snow Studs might prove more useful than just being puncture proof, leg torture devices over the next few days.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    I haven't fallen off this month, or last month. But that's only because my tumble in late September has kept me off the bike. I was considering riding in tomorrow but I'm drunk as a lord so I'll see how the hangover is in the morning.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I haven't fallen off this month, or last month. But that's only because my tumble in late September has kept me off the bike. I was considering riding in tomorrow but I'm drunk as a lord so I'll see how the hangover is in the morning.

Epic perchance? :lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

MORNING VERONESE!!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wonder if he can even stand the glare of a screen?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nice one.

Welcome to the November club. I became a member twice this month.

Annoying because I'd been crash free for a good 2 years before that.
  • veronese68
    Koncordski wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

MORNING VERONESE!!
    morning. Wimped out and accepted a lift in a nice warm car.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    This morning was the first morning when I had the back wheels slide from under me. I've been watching this one particular corner for a few weeks as I know there is usually standing water - it also happens to be the entrance to a bike path, the path is only 3ft wide, with steel railings either side, and its at the bottom of a hill, so if you do come off you're likely to do some serious damage smashing into the railings. Luckilly although the wheel slid I didnt come off. Will be going very slow there from now on. :shock:
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • y33stu wrote:
    This morning was the first morning when I had the back wheels slide from under me.

Tricycle rider?

:lol:
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    y33stu wrote:
    This morning was the first morning when I had the back wheels slide from under me.

Tricycle rider?

:lol:

Stabilisers :shock:
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers