Dodgy light ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Put this topic in here as it's more about trying to fix my light than what to buy.

My headtorch kinda gave in last night, when I mean kinda, I mean, it is getting power to it, as the rear button is on, the led is powered but then nothing much in the way of light. At first I just thought it was low battery but after a full nights charge, it's still the same :(

It's one of those cree single led's, so any ideas what might be the issue ??

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Have you tried cycling through all the different settings (Hi, Med, Low, flash, etc) - is it stuck on low, perhaps? Also, might be that the battery is knackered and won't take charge properly any more, so you could try a new one of those - someone was selling them on here a while ago - search for "18650".
  • RandG
    Tried other batteries as I have other lights. Pretty much the same. Once plugged to battery the led goes on but enough to just see that it's on, and going thru the settings does nothing..

Really disappointed as it's the best light I have, like mega long beam :(
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    RandG wrote:
    Tried other batteries as I have other lights. Pretty much the same. Once plugged to battery the led goes on but enough to just see that it's on, and going thru the settings does nothing..

Do you mean the button has no effect at all, or just that all the settings are equally dim?

If the former, then I would suggest opening up the light, and checking that the switch isn't being fouled by dirt or corrosion.

If the latter, then it may be an indicator that the LED chip is on it's way out, in which case I doubt there's much that can be done apart from buying a new unit.
  • RandG
    Im told its the controller chip ?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    What make and model of light?
  • RandG
    Ouija wrote:
    What make and model of light?

Oh now you're asking, it was from China, one of those Cree 10 millions lumens jobs :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A torch? The magicshine clones we see? Got a link?
  • RandG
    Ye one of the clones, however, a mate has replaced the switch to just on and off and it's now back in service. :D
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    RandG wrote:
    Ye one of the clones, however, a mate has replaced the switch to just on and off and it's now back in service. :D

All the tail caps are on and off switches, lol. The modes are determined by the emitter at the front of the torch, not the tailcap. Typically, pressing the tail cap until it clicks breaks or creates the circuit (on or off). Slightly pressing it so it doesn't click causes a momentary break in power. The emitter at the front of the torch interprets a momentary break in power as an instruction to change modes. This is why some torches change modes when you go over bumps (a momentary break in power caused by your battery or something else not been battened down tight). Therefore, you should still be able to change modes with the new switch by turning the torch on and off very quickly (which you may already know, but i though i'd mention it).