Moda Intro - anyone?

tomhowells
tomhowells Posts: 171
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
So I am upgrading to my first road bike, I don't have tons of cash and I really want something with tiagra. Has anyone heard of the Moda Intro? I have my eye on it, but I don't want to splash all my cash on something and then regret it! Anyone with anything to say about it would be so helpful!

Help me with my choice, o experienced ones!
Btw, budget is £700, and I'm upgrading from a Halfords hybrid *cue sniggering *

Cheers chaps and chapesses!
Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
Moda Intro - Winter
Planet X Stealth - TT

Comments

• It's a bike I keep coming back to. Problem is, I just know I'll want 105 eventually and with the current deals going round it really opens up you options. So much choice its impossible to narrow down.

Damian Harris have the Moda Rubarto on offer for £100 more (£795) just to confuse me that bit extra.
  • Awesome! Someone else has heard of it! Thanks for the reply.

I am somewhat limited as to where I get my bike from - I have a load of vouchers from Evans, so that's my lot really! Was looking at the Cannondale CAAD 8 7 Sora as well, but ideally I wanted Tiagra.

I may just take a punt on the Moda....
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    nice looking bike. also thought the new Tiagra was supposed to good solid kit. Don't think you could go far wrong at that price if you're locked into Evans with vouchers etc
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • The Tiagra seems to get much better reviews than Sora. Google it and it's more 'Tiagra v 105' comparisons. The Sora looks ok, just I know I'll get bored easy so fancy protecting myself.

As Tiagra is 10 speed it just makes it more upgradable so I feel happier buying it. Saying that, there's loads of good prices to be had for Sora bikes at the moment which would nullify any future costs / upgrades.

I still can't figure out what to buy though :-|
  • I know what you mean, Biggles. Mind you, I heard that the 2013 Sora groupset was going to be paddle shifters & not use those awful thumb switchers.
    I'm wondering about the 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8 7 Sora - if the 2013 refers to the Cannondale part of it only, or if it uses the 2013 Sora shifters as well? If it is the new paddle switchers, it could well be worth a shot?

Hopefully going to Evans on Sunday, so will report back!
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • I've got a 2013 Spesh Allez Sport which has the new Sora and it works really well, no little thumb levers and a big step up from the 2300, you can comfortable shift / brake in all positions. A friend of mine has old Sora and its a nightmare in comparison.

But then again like any body bit by the bike upgrade bug, I'm already looking into 105/ultegra upgrades.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • So what we're saying is the Sora is fine, the Tiagra is good, but get neither and save for the 105?

I think this is why I keep changing from the Moda to a second-hand higher spec bike. The Canyon AL 6 covers all the bases though!
  • TBH, I doubt I would notice the difference between the Tiagra & 105!

Just had a look at the Spesh Allez Sport, Mark - looks nice in black - not sure why I had dismissed it before? Maybe before I knew about the thumb shifters absence on the new Sora?

Biggles, isn't the Canyon AL6 a Hybrid/MTB?
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • I looked at the Allez Sport '12/'13 models and it's hard to know what's what. Lots of confusion over the new SORA and have '13 models got carbon forks etc. One of the major retailers also had it specced as it was for '12 so I knew that was wrong, just didn't know what.

Sorry Tom, the Canyon is the Roadlite AL 6.0. You'd think they'd use the iPhone model and name things simpler rather than go down the Porsche 911 route.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The rubato was in a review a year or so ago and did quite well, but I think they said it was more "racey" than the others iirc.
  • Rubato Review

Bolero review

Not sure it helps specifically but it's still worth a read if you're looking at a Moda.
  • tomhowells wrote:
    TBH, I doubt I would notice the difference between the Tiagra & 105!

Just had a look at the Spesh Allez Sport, Mark - looks nice in black - not sure why I had dismissed it before? Maybe before I knew about the thumb shifters absence on the new Sora?

Biggles, isn't the Canyon AL6 a Hybrid/MTB?

Hi, yeh I've got the black, with some Askium wheels, ultremo ZX white, carbon seat post, Prolog Kappa saddle in Black and white & changed the bar tape to black, looks really good.

Also can confirm it has a FACT carbon fork and the new Sora it's pretty good, I bagged mine cheap fom a private seller on this site (standard spec) and it had done around 30 miles so I'm really happy with it.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Bit annoyed. Just noticed that eBay had some Moda bargains go through this week. Still a Rubato on there for £550 but the 54" frame is too small for me. Have a nose.