Where the hell is Pilch?

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited November 2012 in The Crudcatcher
I just noticed he recorded a 100mile ride in flippin Morocco last week. (Many KOMs were recorded too by the looks of it)

You back yet Pilch? some sort of race I assume?

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    his phone has been nicked............ the tea leaf loves cycling though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One use for Strava - watch your stolen phone cruise around.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    He was on the 29er thread earlier IIRC. I don't know if the thread is in Morocco though.
  • There are many threads in Morocco, great rugs, you buy yes? I throw in clown bike, got off my brother. Funny wheels but rides ok.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I remember someone mentioning a while ago they were off to morrocco cos I posted a video up, it was probably him :-)
  • ah, fair enough then. The GPS route looks awesome.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Yep back now, the route was over 5 days.... so not quite as epic as it looks :wink:

Great riding, really technical up & down, people riding everything from carbon Whippets to 170mm bouncers, the route took us through tiny villages in the mountains often on narrow tracks with sheer drops, finally we ended up in Marakech for a big night out.

A brilliant adventure...

598573_560636727286746_817827483_n.jpg
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Pilch, some guys from my club are planning on doing the same ride in the summer, if you have any videos could you pm me some links so I can pass them on?

Cheers
  • pilch
    tudj wrote:
    Pilch, some guys from my club are planning on doing the same ride in the summer, if you have any videos could you pm me some links so I can pass them on?

Cheers

No probs, one of the guys had a GoPro on all week, he's editing the footage together now so i'll give you the link when I get it

29er race

29er bouncer
  • tudj
    pilch wrote:
    tudj wrote:

Cheers

No probs, one of the guys had a GoPro on all week, he's editing the footage together now so i'll give you the link when I get it

Cheers. I'm considering going myself but I'm not sure if I'm up to it skill wise. I've only been riding 3-4 months. Can you compare it to anything in the UK difficulty wise?
  • pilch
    Hi Tudj, I think it would definitely improve your skills :wink: but i'm not sure what your skill level is, 3-4 months riding may be pushing it a bit, but drop Simon an email and he'll give you a good idea of whether its for you or not.

The Freeride Morocco website says something along the lines of 'Uk trail centre black grade riding', that in itself is a little ambiguous though, bearing in mind how Uk trail centre 'black runs' vary, but I guess they need some kind of measure to describe the terrain.

The closest thing I can liken it to is the Sierra Nevada in spain - but better! Lots of singletrack

Some bits reminded me of Kirrochtree and Innerliethen, other bits like dartmoor and the peak district, but dry and dusty (think the beast/cavedale) and other sections were like nothing i've ever ridden... a foot wide rock strewn track round the side of a hill with a sheer drop if you get it wrong (you can walk those bits though!)

29er race

29er bouncer
  • tudj
    Cheers.

A few people I've ridden with have been surprised that I've only been riding a few months but I also know it's easy to be over-confident. I've done the black and CYB and done some pretty technical stuff in the Peaks. I think I'll probably leave it this time around and go in a year or 2 once I've got a bit more riding experience under my belt, it's a long way to go to find I'm out of my depth!

I recently watched the Mojo Trail diaries which is in the same area, it certainly looks like a blast. Looking forward to seeing your mate's video.
  • pilch
    If you are doing it in the summer you'll have the best part of a year under you belt :wink: I rode in the Sierra Nevada the 1st time after a years riding experience and I was fine... apart from the odd cut & bruise :lol:

I would have a chat with Simon nearer the time and see how you feel, it really is a great trip!

29er race

29er bouncer
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    how much was it pilch? if you don't mind me asking :D
  • pilch
    welshkev wrote:

£595 + flights includes:-

Airport transfers

2 guides

Full board: Bed, breakfast, lunch; usually a big salad with pasta/rice with tuna or chicken - the guys meet you half way through the day, set up a mini camp and prepare everything fresh.

Evening meal: Soup, tajine (sooo tasty) fruit, gallons of mint tea

Spending money.... you don't really need much cash on a day to day basis - there's nowhere to spend it! - apart from the odd 'shop' in villages you pass through, but thats just soft drinks/fruit/sweets.

The last day in marakech (this is where you may spend some cash) you just sort yourself out in terms of meals & drinks and whatever you want to spend (or get fleeced out of) in the souk, still you can eat very well for a £5er

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    A friend of mine just told me she's just come back from Morocco, i said "Tangiers" she said "i did, my tits are quite brown too"

Ill get my coat
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    pilch wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

£595 + flights includes:-

Airport transfers

2 guides

Full board: Bed, breakfast, lunch; usually a big salad with pasta/rice with tuna or chicken - the guys meet you half way through the day, set up a mini camp and prepare everything fresh.

Evening meal: Soup, tajine (sooo tasty) fruit, gallons of mint tea

Spending money.... you don't really need much cash on a day to day basis - there's nowhere to spend it! - apart from the odd 'shop' in villages you pass through, but thats just soft drinks/fruit/sweets.

The last day in marakech (this is where you may spend some cash) you just sort yourself out in terms of meals & drinks and whatever you want to spend (or get fleeced out of) in the souk, still you can eat very well for a £5er
    More importantly, does breakfast include bacon?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pilch
    I can feel a posher crudstock coming on!

The thought had crossed my mind... they normally run specific dates April-Nov but if you can get enough people together (12 I think) they will put on a bespoke trip during this period....
    cooldad wrote:
    More importantly, does breakfast include bacon?

Unfortunately not :( porridge, bread, honey, fruit, cheese... but we did have sausage sandwiches with chilli in Marakech... at least they looked like sausages...

29er race

29er bouncer