Trek 1.2 - Road Tyre & Clothing

iGlaswegian
iGlaswegian Posts: 87
edited November 2012 in Road general
Hi everyone

Im looking to get winter tyres on my Trek 1.2. Could someone advise which ones i should be going for? Any personal recommendations?

Also, I haven't got any proper bottoms (I currently use padded cycling shorts). Is there any gear for the bottom you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tyres-wise, there are lots of choices. Gatorskins are very popular. I use them myself, but not as a 'winter tyre'; my favourite bike has 27" wheels and my choices of tyres are very limited. However I've been very pleased with them: not a single puncture since I put them on in May and I have no complaints about the ride quality whatsoever. Some people find that they have poor grip in the wet but I haven't particularly found this (a couple of little slippages here and there but nothing I wouldn't expect from another tyre). My tyres are 1 1/4" or 32mm - somewhat wider than a 23mm - but nonetheless that's my experience with them. I take reviews of tyres - good and bad - with a large pinch of salt; I've read pages of forum threads decrying the fact that Gatorskins (or even Continental tyres generally) puncture all the time but I've also read plenty that match my own experience... Anyway, Elinor Barker uses Gatorskins on her training bike, so they must be alright. :mrgreen:

As for clothing, it really depends on how much you're willing to spend. I wouldn't go for overly cheap bibs (something not to skimp on), but around the £40-50 mark can get you something decent (eg. DHB), and upwards of £70 will get you Endura, Castelli, Assos, etc.
  • Simon - thanks very much.

I will take a look on websites now re clothing. I think ill just get opinions from a few shops and get it done in-store to be on the safe side. I guess winter tyres will generally be the same across all stores but clothing will differ from place to place.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    By all means get the tyres put on by a bike shop = but you'll pay for the privilege.

If you cant take tyres off - how will you cope when you get a puncture at the side of the road ? All you need is tyre levers and a spare tube. It's well worth learning.

Yes Gatorskins are good for winter - they should be £40ish a pair. I'd go 25mm or wider in winter.

If puncture resistance is really a priority over speed - I may go for something like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. More resistant - but heavier tyres. Again a similar price to the Gatorskins.

Get some thermal unpadded bibtights for winter - and wear your existing shorts underneath.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I run 25mm Conti 4 seasons all year round on some pretty crappy roads and rarely puncture. Bonus is that they have excellent grip at low temps and in the wet. They are a bit on the pricy side, but my rear lasted 3500 miles before I had to replace it and the front is still going strong (now switched to the back, new one on the front). Online from Germany seems to be the cheapest option at the mo.

Winter riding I'm using some DHB padded roubaix bibtights. Pretty warm down to minus 5 or so. Keep me surprisingly warm even when wet, and they are coming up to 5 years old, so pretty durable too.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I'd recommend GP4000s as being hardy enough for winter with great wet traction and decent ride quality - 25mm if possible. I'm not a big fan of Gatorskins - slippery in the wet, overrated puncture resistance, sidewalls cut and blow out, threads keep peeling off. Had them won't buy again. Don't go for Armadillos either - like riding through treacle. If you want something bombproof, but super heavy and almost impossible to mount, there's always 25mm Marathon Plus.

Decathlon do decent winter bib longs, the heaviest being around £60, but also nice thermal ones for around £22.
  • Cougie - many thanks.

Re Gatorskins, is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental-700c-Ultra-Gator-TYC18539/dp/B007PP1JDA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354119748&sr=8-3 the right one im looking at? I've attached a picture of my current tyre if it helps.

Many thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Your current tyre's a 700 x 25c, so the pair you link to are a direct replacement size wise.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    If you're on a budget Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tyres roll well, are tough, not overly heavy and great value.
    Conti GP4Seasons always get lots of favourable comments but they're not cheap.
    Schwalbe Durano is a top bet for a fast all-round/training tyre with decent protection, available in both rigid and folding bead. All three of these come in several widths.

I'm not hugely sold on the advantages of bibs, perhaps they are a big deal if you have a bit of padding around your middle, where waist shorts may feel a little restrictive. Over winter I use 'roubaix' fleece-lined longs or legwarmers, and I wear padded coolmax undershorts or standard shorts beneath the unpadded ones (Altura Stream and Winter Cruisers).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.