New Mag - Cyclist

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited November 2012 in Road general
Picked up a copy of this new mag a few months ago and have to say I was really impressed. I cancelled my Procycling subscription last year as it was becoming tedious, boring and cyclesport was not much better either.

This new mag scrubs the floor with them and I am glad I picked it up. Its only out every 2months or so and picked up the latest edition yesterday and its classy looking as well.

Anybody else converted?
Brian B.

Comments

• Yes I've bought a copy and was impressed. Some nice articles in it as well. I definetely get it again.
  • It's monthly, and is very well written. I've subscribed for 3 issues for a fiver, one of those magazines that feels nice as well so I go for the print copy rather than digital.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12880896&hilit=new+magazine

I enjoy it -> like the fact its a bit more 'premium' than cycling+
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12880896&hilit=new+magazine

I enjoy it -> like the fact its a bit more 'premium' than cycling+

I bought the latest edition for the first time and my initial impressions are that it's a cross between Cycling+ and Procycling, not sure how long it will last, but it's good.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I like it, it's well set out, looks the part and the content has been good up to now. My old man even took an issue home after flicking through it and he's not even sat on a bike for 20 yrs.
  • It's a good magazine, far better than the usual advert ridden repetitive nonsense.
    Quality paper, nice photography & well written; a bit like a baby Rouler.

However, it might be hard to sustain without descending into the 'usual advert ridden repetitive nonsense', albeit on nice paper.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I really like it. I've bought the last three issues and I've just realised I haven't bought Pro Cycling since starting with Cyclist. I would like to see a little more racing in it though.
  • Looks good - have downloaded it on newsstand on iPad. You can download issue one for free! I'll give it a go and see what I think
  • I got an email from the publishes as I susbscribe to one of their photography mags. Got 3 issues for a fiver, then noticed British Cycling members can get 3 issues for £3. So I'm getting 6 issues for £8, which isn't bad. I may well continue afterwards, as it is well written, the articles are in-depth rather than just scraping the surface. As someone else said, its very like a mini-roueleueur, but rather less arty-farty. Hopefully they'll keep up the standard.
  • I agree with the baby Rouler comparison. It is a great magazine ......... once the season gets going and they add in some racing reports it will be nearly perfect. I am going to subscribe.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nice magazine. Nobody do that Swiss ride though - I want to do that.
  • Beatmaker
    cougie wrote:
    Nice magazine. Nobody do that Swiss ride though - I want to do that.

How good did that look! And the Norway ride. And the Girona ride.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Norway ride looked stunning. Not many other mags that could have done that justice, awesome photography and great words. Getting riders like Simon Warren to do their sportive reports lent a bit of credence too, albeit that it might alienate the average Joe Rider if Simon is seen as representative of us lot. As above, be interesting to see what happens when the season starts.
  • I have bought the first three issues. Looks pretty good up to now. I did notice they had crept an advert for solar panels into the latest edition. Have sent them an email to say it had no place in a cycling magazine costing £5.00. Lets see if they take any notice, or as someone else suggested, they start filling it with adverts.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Presumably it is another title for the Future Group, so in essence the same stuff just re badged and presented in a slightly different style.
  • it's not a future publication.
    From what I've seen it's far better than their offerings, quite refreshing.
  • Not sure how long it'll last, lots of the features have been lifted from other mags and basically rewritten. They don't have the depth of writing like Procycling, cyclesport but at least they might make the others raise their game.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    it's not a future publication.
    OUCH this must sting a little then for the Cycling Plus boys on their own forum.
  • Probably, but then it maybe a different audience; red top tabloid Vs broadsheet scenario.
    If you're starting out then the likes of Cycling Plus are great, but once you know what kit is what, and have ambitions to do big rides on the continent, you've kind of outgrown it.

As Rodrego said, it might make them raise their game.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    it's not a future publication.

Is it not?
    I know it does not say Future in the info bars but there is a lot of similarity in how this info is presented.
    Part of the same group perhaps but badged under different names?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • It's Dennis Publishing, same people that do Men's Fitness mag.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Interesting goings-on in the cycling publishing world. Dennis Publishing launch Cyclist, pitched somewhere between Cycling Plus and Rouleur, Future respond with...um...Urban Cyclist. I can definitely see a market for Cyclist, but am less convinced by a magazine for hipsters or commuters.

I think Cyclist is pretty good so far. Good mix of features, pitched at a reasonably well-informed readership, and plenty of depth. Yes, there's plenty of overlap with other mags in terms of general content, but that's inevitable in a market packed with competing mags. The design, photography and writing are all very good (so far), and for me it's spot-on. Will continue to buy C+ and Rouleur on an occasional basis, but Cyclist looks to fill a gap for me. And best of all, they don't seem to be reverting to the appalling road-side flash photography that plagues CA and C+.

Lots of people seem to have a problem with the amount of advertising in magazines, which I don't understand...the more ads there are, the more money the mag makes (they typically get less than 50 percent of the cover price), and the more money they make the more editorial budget they have to enable them to do interesting stuff. I would rather have a 200-page mag, with 100 pages of ads and 100 pages of good editorial than a 100-page mag with 70 pages of crap editorial. OK, that's a bit simplistic, but generally lots of ads equals successful mag equals better product. The alternative is mags like Rouleur which have to charge a massive cover price to make up for the lack of ads. They can get away with that because it's a premium product, but mainstream mags need the ads in order to survive.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth.
  • Beatmaker
    Not sure how long it'll last, lots of the features have been lifted from other mags and basically rewritten. They don't have the depth of writing like Procycling, cyclesport but at least they might make the others raise their game.

What features have been lifted and rewritten? Perhaps some of the more general, fitness related features but not the cycle specific ones, its a new launch and will have a small team for now, they will most likely rely on freelancers until sub and ad revenue start to come in and pay for the publication.
  • Off the top of my head, the Oakley feature was very similar to one from cyclosport, the article on Girona similar to others from cyclesport.
  • I've got the online version only and it's brilliant I have to say. In this months edition there is little videos you can click on etc. It the first online mag I've had and have to say I'm impressed....
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • i read the first one-i found it lightweight and insubstantial

aimed at the dentist/ chipper-tart end of the market? :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Best digital magazine is Bicisport, English edition is fantastic. Makes uk mags look terrible.
  • Beatmaker
    Off the top of my head, the Oakley feature was very similar to one from cyclosport, the article on Girona similar to others from cyclesport.

I don't recall a feature in Cyclesport where they went riding around Girona with a pro from Astana. And Oakley are the leading brand in sports eyewear, it's natural other publications will build a feature around the brand.
  • I really like it. Looks very classy & professional. As the name suggests, it's a mag written by cyclists, for cyclists. I have been subscribed to this as a birthday present, looking forward to see how it continues now. I also subscribe to Cycling Plus but i just get bored of that now. It is the same old stuff every month, not much actual journalsim or valued articles. I think it's good if you are starting out in the sport, but a bit of a let down otherwise. The Cyclist does some a bit more refined & thoughtful.
  • tomisitt wrote:
    Lots of people seem to have a problem with the amount of advertising in magazines, which I don't understand...the more ads there are, the more money the mag makes (they typically get less than 50 percent of the cover price), and the more money they make the more editorial budget they have to enable them to do interesting stuff. I would rather have a 200-page mag, with 100 pages of ads and 100 pages of good editorial than a 100-page mag with 70 pages of crap editorial. OK, that's a bit simplistic, but generally lots of ads equals successful mag equals better product. The alternative is mags like Rouleur which have to charge a massive cover price to make up for the lack of ads. They can get away with that because it's a premium product, but mainstream mags need the ads in order to survive.

This.