31.6Ømm seatpost clamp; for the actual post not the frame

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Gents, I am on a quest to find a 31.6Ømm seatpost clamp; a clamp for the actual post not one that goes around the frame, eg the 34.9Ømm one.

One of the main reasons is so I can remove the post and reinsert with faffin about.

Does anyone know where I could find one? I feel I have searched the far corners of ye ´ole internet, but alas…

Thanks in advance

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    tbh id just use a reflector mount.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-sing ... Post_Clamp

?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, plastic reflector or light mount....besides seatpost clamps have a lip to stop them dropping down so even if you could find this funny size you'd still have that to contend with.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Edited for brainfade
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A whole clamp? Whats wrong with two wraps of electrical tape? I am assuming you still intend to use an actual seat clamp and not just have it free to spin around :wink:
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Or a rubber band.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    nicklouse wrote:
    Or a rubber band.

To be fair that might actually move.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    benpinnick wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Or a rubber band.

To be fair that might actually move.
    and that is why to use it.

what is the point of having a fixed mark on a seat post that you may want to adjust when on your ride?

the only time you might want to return that post to the same place is when you remove it.

a fixed marker is only good if you only intend to raise the post from that point or never ever adjust it for descents etc...

so what would you want to use tape for? other than it leave a sticky reside that you will need to clean off before adjusting the seat. a clamp sure if it does not have a step in it but again to clamps to adjust if you want to lower it for a decent. etc etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Thanks for the responses guys, but perhaps I did not make myself clear as I could have.

I really want a proper clamp so it can help reduce post slip, carbon post alu frame!

I have found the carbon post slips sometimes, that said I have today replaced the crappy Bonnie OEM clamp with a Hope one, so this may solve the problem. The OEM clamp was very thin and difficult to tighten up to any degree.

I did think about buying a 31.8 seatpost clamp and machine/file off the lip that would normally rest on the frame itself. I would have thought 0.2 would not make to much difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fit it properly and it won't slip.

The clamp is fine, you have got carbon gripper paste in there haven't you? You are doing the clamp up to the right torque (nearly all are 5Nm so they all clamp pretty much the same - a thinner clamp clamps better than a thicker one - oops and Hope clamps are notoriously overpriced tat).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I'm sure I've seen pics of road bikes set up for Paris-Roubaix like this, but with a jubilee clip instead of a second clamp.

Ah! Something like this:
    garmin_farrar_seatpost_clamp_600.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Specialized used to do a 30.9 clamp with no lip, with a threaded boss on it, so you could fit a mudguard or bottle onto the old monocoque Enduros. Dunno if they'd fit round a 31.6 seatpost.

Although that said I'd suggest that's dealing with the problem not the cause.

Take your post out, clean it up, clean your frame, no grease, or some Assembly paste (shouldn't be necessary though). The Hope QR clamps are crap, but their allen bolt ones are good IME.
  • nicklouse
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses guys, but perhaps I did not make myself clear as I could have.

I really want a proper clamp so it can help reduce post slip, carbon post alu frame!
    this was never even mentioned or implied in the OP
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Gents, I am on a quest to find a 31.6Ømm seatpost clamp; a clamp for the actual post not one that goes around the frame, eg the 34.9Ømm one.

One of the main reasons is so I can remove the post and reinsert with faffin about.

Does anyone know where I could find one? I feel I have searched the far corners of ye ´ole internet, but alas…

Thanks in advance

as above, clean it all and get some carbon grip paste.