Forum home Road cycling forum Your road bikes

Cervelo R5 VWD Build

yeatmasteryeatmaster Posts: 148
edited December 2012 in Your road bikes
Hey Guys,
Just bought a Cervelo R5 VWD Frameset and it arrived today! so just starting to build it up. i will post pics as the build progresses. Frame alone weighed in at 740 grams on my park scales (size 51cm) which is crazy light.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/

just started to put some components on but think i need to change stem to blend in with frame stem. what are your thoughts?? and still need to cut down fork steerer but want to get fit correct first.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/

Hopefully will be a 13lb bike when complete.

Cheers
Yeatmaster.

Posts

  • upperoilcanupperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Looking good already. :)

    You gotta love Cervelo's
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Looking good already. :)

    You gotta love Cervelo's

    Yeah it looks lovely, it's my first cervelo road bike as previously I have only ridden giant bikes, but fancied a change.
  • saprkzzsaprkzz Posts: 592
    You are going to love it!. Soon as the pedals turn you will notice how amazing the R5 is.

    Your in my neck of the woods, so will keep an eye for you!... I will be the guy on another R5 :lol: (common as muck eh? :wink: )
  • Yeatmaster wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    Just bought a Cervelo R5 VWD Frameset and it arrived today! so just starting to build it up. i will post pics as the build progresses. Frame alone weighed in at 740 grams on my park scales (size 51cm) which is crazy light.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/

    just started to put some components on but think i need to change stem to blend in with frame stem. what are your thoughts?? and still need to cut down fork steerer but want to get fit correct first.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/

    Hopefully will be a 13lb bike when complete.

    Cheers
    Yeatmaster.

    Fantastic bike yeatmaster. I started in the same way as you fancying a change then 3 years later look at my sig! I'm rebuilding the s2 this winter though, I had campy chorus groupset arrive last week and need to get round to fitting it. Had sram red but I didn't like it. Did your dura ace crank fit with the rotor bb? I assume not, in which case what bb adapter did you use?

    All the best with the build
  • Just my thoughts but regarding the stem I think 3t finishing kit is always the way to go with cervelos. Have a look at this one - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/3t-arx-team-oversize-stem-black-series/ I've got it on my s3 which is identical paint scheme to your r5 and I think works best.
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Just my thoughts but regarding the stem I think 3t finishing kit is always the way to go with cervelos. Have a look at this one - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/3t-arx-team-oversize-stem-black-series/ I've got it on my s3 which is identical paint scheme to your r5 and I think works best.


    Thanks for your comments. i did use a rotor bbright adapter for use with 24mm chainset axles. same as here:
    http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7410001938

    regarding stem i have just changed it for a 3t arx ltd carbon stem, i had kicking around and was luckily the correct length.


    saprkzz: cheers and i will keep an eye out for ya :wink:
  • TMRTMR Posts: 3,986
    This frame is screaming for 3T LTD seat post, stem and Ergonova bars.

    Very nice :shock:
  • Very nice bike! Looking at one myself, can i ask how tall you are and how frame fits?
  • Very nice, what bars are those?
    ______________________________________
    Alive at both ends, but a little dead in the middle.
  • forestnot1 wrote:
    Very nice bike! Looking at one myself, can i ask how tall you are and how frame fits?

    thanks! i am 5ft 9, and its a 51 cm frame. on most bikes i am between a small and medium but went for the smaller cervelo to save weight and get the 'race' feel.
    Go for it, its one hell of a bike!! and cant wait to get on and ride it. :)
  • Very nice, what bars are those?

    the handlebars are a brand called CBT Italia. look great, internal cable routing and pretty light too. but unfortunately i need to change for some different ones as prefer the traditional style handlebars.
  • more components added, just need to get some different handlebars, then i can cut steerer, fit chain/ cables/ bartape then she will be ready to roll :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/
  • Much better!
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Do those CBT Italia bars fit a normal oversized stem?

    If so how much do you want for them?

    They would be great on my Basso build.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Do those CBT Italia bars fit a normal oversized stem?

    If so how much do you want for them?

    They would be great on my Basso build.

    Hi,
    Yes the CBT Italia bars are for normal 31.8mm stem clamp. Would be looking for £90 posted.
    Cheers
  • Get yourself some 3t ergonova team carbons like mine - fantastic bars v v v v v comfy
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Get yourself some 3t ergonova team carbons like mine - fantastic bars v v v v v comfy

    No I'm going for some zipp handlebars as find them really comfortable, was tempted to get the 3T ones instead as would look ace on there but made my mind up now and there's no going back. :)
  • Which zipp bars ??
  • TMRTMR Posts: 3,986
    Yeatmaster wrote:
    No I'm going for some zipp handlebars as find them really comfortable, was tempted to get the 3T ones instead as would look ace on there but made my mind up now and there's no going back. :)

    If you're going to do that, make sure all of the finishing kit matches - stem, bars and post. Otherwise it just looks censored IMHO.
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Which zipp bars ??

    Zipp slc2 carbon traditional bend.
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8241344733/

    All Built up, very happy with the outcome :D just need some decent weather now...
  • Stu517Stu517 Posts: 41
    Looks great mate.......not as good as mine though.... :wink:
  • Looks fantastic, very jealous
Sign In or Register to comment.