Giant defy, 2,3 and 4 help please.

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am currently have no bike after stupidly selling my c.b. echelon because of a near miss with a car, any way I had been looking at £1k bikes, but have decided to lower my sights a little, I am impressed with all the above bikes, but am a bit confused with the difference between shimano 2300 which I had, and sora and Tiagra, as I'm hoping to get this bike on 3 years finance option, i would like advice on which group set to go for, bikes range from £600-£800.
Really interested in the pros and cons of each set and what I would gain or not for that matter from each set.

Thanks for advice. Tony

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    2300 8 speed Max 26T, sora 9 speed Max 27T , Tiagra 10 speed max 30T.

the 2300 has the thumb downshifter, while the others have the 2nd paddle.

Action wise I found it hard to tell the diffference, but how and where you ride may make the choice easier if you have hills and could need the 30 at the back.

I would assume Tiagra is also the best if you fancied trading up to other 10 speeds like 105 etc.

3 yr option tho...may as well go top end and get the defy 2 :-)
  • Ricey83
    Ricey83 Posts: 103
    I agree with zx6man. I have a Defy 4 and love it but if I was doing finance over 3 years I'd get the Defy 2 just for the better components.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    another vote for the defy 2,over 3 years wont be much more monthly and you then wont regret for 3 years getting the wrong option.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori