Bike theft advice

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I've got a little dilemma.

I have a rather expensive bike and id much rather buy a cheap mountain bike 2nd hand lets say around £100 odd quid to commute on and leave locked up in public than my other bike. So what would you lot do chance leaving your expensive bike with half decent locks on or use a cheaper bike to commute on and use it solely for transport? My other bike is a mountain bike and use that for mountain biking obviously but i have been using it for commuting on but i'd rather not. I'd rather have a cheaper bike nicked than a expensive bike. Or would you guys just use some better locks and hope that should a thief strike he will be deterred quickly. What would you do? :roll: :roll:
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rat bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • difficult one...or not.

if you do use your expensive bike then you need insurance - eta are good and will replace your bike with no deprecation

but...having your pride and joy locked to a typical bike rack isn't the best experience when 10 other people try and squeeze their £20 market bought rat bikes up against yours cos they don't give a f*ck about anyone elses bike...

I have insurance so in the first instance would probably risk it if I can find a bike rack that isn't packed...then if it does get nicked get a nice new bike and then buy a much cheaper second hand one as well to use
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    I've got a little dilemma.
    The Rules wrote:
    Rule #12
    The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    My good bikes stay home - they go out for rides, during which I am in the saddle the entire time, and then they come back and then return to the (locked) shed where they are secured with the heaviest and toughest lock I can find (Pragmasis Protector; 16mm links,uncroppable even with 42" bolt cutters) chaining them to a floor-mounted anchor.
  • Thanks for all your help it looks like a rat bike is the way to go!
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The way to go is to get you employer to provide secure bike stand for it's employees.

In the dry I use a £4k bike to commute often - but generally I use a £1.5k bike - it doesn't matter in either case because my employer provides secure undercover parking - I had one employer who didn't - I had a simple solution - I parked the bike in the office - it is not my job to take a risk with my goods in order to get to their fecking job :) - I am such a touchy feely person.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I have a similar dilemma. The problem is I do a lot of "every day jobs" shopping, getting passport photos, post office etc.. out an about on my bike. Because I'm out and about a lot I don't want a bike that I hate riding. I was thinking of solving this dilemma with a Btwin Triban 3.....
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    Cheap crappy road bike bought off gumtree for me. Gets me from A to B and it's pretty fast - obviously not as fast as my race day special. I would expect somewhere secure at work but doing day to day tasks it's good as I don't mind if pricks lock their crap up and bang it.
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for