B'Twin Tribal 3 - beginner Roadie

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Currently got a 2nd hand MTB (v nice Orange Clockwork) but never take it off the road and MTB doesn't interest me in slightest so I'm looking for my 1st road bike and frankly with a wife, a toddler and a baby - cash is short!

Therefore I was looking a 'best budget bike' lists and I see the Tribal 3 for £300 crops up fairly regularly.

Anyone got any experience of these and also sizing (I can't figure out Decathalon sizing at all!) I'm 6ft 2, 14 and bit stone and inside leg of about 34 inch.

I appreciate it's not goning to be top end or anything but will it be ok for commute and few longer weekend rides (40-50 mile) and odd (1-2 yr) sportives. Or should I save for another year and look for something around £500 mark. Any higher is totally out of reach (at least until kids leave home in say...18 years time!!)

Cheers
Triban 3

Comments

• I've had one since about mid July as my first road bike and have been really happy with it. I did take it to get serviced as I messed up trying to adjust the front derailleur and the local bike shop said that it hadn't been set up too well. He tightened a few things and straightened the wheel which he said was a bit off. I guess that's what you get for buying from a big sports store, but being a big sports store means they also have buying power and hence can offer the bike at such a good price.

Keep in mind you will almost inevitably end up buying extras like a helmet, bike computer, lights, water bottles, reflective gear etc etc... It all adds up very quickly!

I am 6'4" and bought the 63inch frame. However I think I should have bought a smaller frame as after about 20-25miles I get a bit of lower back pain, even after installing a shorter handlebar stem. I went and tried them for sizing before I bought one so I wouldn't suggest ordering online unless you live a long way from any of their stores.
  • Thanks for that, I'm in Bristol so think nearest one is maybe Reading (not sure if they stock them?)
    In terms of other kit already got most as use my MTB to commute so helmet, jacket, lights, bottle, gloves, shorts etc all sorted.
    I've tried interpreting Decathalon sizing online but is gobbley gook to me!!!!
    Triban 3
  • RobertSims wrote:
    Thanks for that, I'm in Bristol so think nearest one is maybe Reading (not sure if they stock them?)
    In terms of other kit already got most as use my MTB to commute so helmet, jacket, lights, bottle, gloves, shorts etc all sorted.
    I've tried interpreting Decathalon sizing online but is gobbley gook to me!!!!

It's worth calling them up to ask about stock. When I was trying to buy mine I called them and they said they had none in stock and had no idea when they might get some but that I should keep checking the website. I kept checking the website for the next couple of weeks and then decided to call them. They actually had three in stock when I phoned, despite the website saying otherwise.

Their website has changed since I last looked at it. I see what you mean though... the first two numbers are the frame size in cm's and inches but I'm not sure what that last number is. Why two bikes of different frame sizes would both be 8IN and another would be 72IN I have no idea. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that?
  • never had a problem with my old Decathlon bike. Can thoroughly recommend.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    I bought one from surrey quays as a commuter a few weeks ago, just got rid of a fixed and don't want to trash either of my good road bikes over the winter so took a punt on this, seems a good bike, happy with it for the money so far. I just use it for a 7 mile each way commute but I'd be happy enough to take it out on a club run if needs be.

I am 6'1" and bought a 63; in normal sizing terms this seems to be a 58cm (c to c top tube) frame with about a 56 cm seat tube and a c22 cm head tube. The only measurement I could find that was 63cm was from the floor to the top of the seat tube :) One of my other road bikes is an xl Ribble gran Fondo and they are both set up to similar dimensions.

My 63 came with a very long stem (130mm i think) which has now been replaced with a cheapo (£8 ebay) 100mm one. I tried the 60cm bike in the shop but I prefer a taller front end on road bikes (being old and infirm) and also found it a little cramped length wise, as I say the 63 is about the same top tube length as my other road bikes (and my planet x track bike) and with the new stem the bars are set about the same as on my other road bikes. At 6'2" I would suggest you probably need a 63.

Other than the pedals the only change needed was getting rid of the saddle which was truly terrible!