Another Bryton 50 query - turbo trainer?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited December 2012 in Road general
Hi. As previously posted I'm a happy Bryton Rider 50t owner. Having bought a combined ANT+ speed and cadence senser for it, I tried it on the turbo trainer tonight for the first time.

I get speed and cadence fine, but no distance or average speed. I presume that as a default it wants to use the onboard GPS for distance. However, I thought with the wheel magnet and wheel size it would also record distance by wheel revolutions.

Does anyone use theirs on the indoor turbo? If so, have you figured out how to get distance without using the GPS function? Had a quick look on the settings on the device but couldn't see anything obvious.

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have a Bryton 20 and the trick with Brytons is to work out if you have bought the dual sensor (cadence and speed) or the cadence/speed sensor. The latter, which is more commonly on sale, has a little toggle switch which changes the mode and cannot be used for both cadence AND speed at the same time. I have mine set to cadence all the time as I use the GPS unit for tracking speed when out riding. When on the turbo I switch off the GPS function on the computer (as it gets all confused) and then just pedal away tracking the cadence, HR, etc. I don't get a reading for miles covered...but I don't need a computer to answer that one :wink:

If you want a pseudo mileage tracker then flick the toggle switch on the cadence/speed sensor to the speed setting and relocate the sensor/magnet as required. I cannot be bothered with that and I figure that cadence is more useful (when turbo-ing) than psuedo miles anyway.
  • luv2ride
    Thanks Bobbinogs. I'm actually using a Motorola speed & cadence senser unit. Looks a lot like the Garmin type:
    http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MO ... US,pd.html

The great thing is that the Bryton automatically scans and picks this ANT+ unit up, and provides cadence and speed simultaneously with no need to switch between the two. I tried it on the turbo it last night, with the GPS disabled, and expected it would convert the wheel revolutions into distance. it's a shame if I can't get distance as I used to use that feature a lot when I used a Cateye V3 computer on the turbo...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Hi did you get a answer for this, just started my late winter training and got on rollers with same problem, no distance and ride time doesn't start even when recording.

Read through instructions and under the bike set-up in the menu there is a place to put in the wheel size but doesn't state what this does.

Cheers
  • luv2ride
    Hi Goldgpr. Bryton support came back and suggested I recorded the session, as this would allow av. mph and distance to be calculated:
    BTW, the distance and avg speed need press start log then them will be appeared on meter screen
    :lol:

I haven't had chance to try it. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by the "meter screen"?
  • Forgive me as I don't own a bryton but just treated myself to a garmin 500. I had the exact same problem with mine when i tried it out on the trainer, speed & cadence worked fine but screen was showing no distance travelled.. All it needed was a button press to start the timer! Doh... Have you tried that?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Hi Goldgpr. Bryton support came back and suggested I recorded the session, as this would allow av. mph and distance to be calculated:
    BTW, the distance and avg speed need press start log then them will be appeared on meter screen
    :lol:

I haven't had chance to try it. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by the "meter screen"?

"Meter" is just the normal recording mode - ie if you aren't following a route or doing a workout session. It isn't a single screen as such - it will have as many screens as you've set it up for.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Cheers Lads for the replies, will give that a go and see how I get on.

Rolf F - Do you ride for any club in Leeds, just moved over to Garforth
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    GOLDGPR wrote:
    Cheers Lads for the replies, will give that a go and see how I get on.

Rolf F - Do you ride for any club in Leeds, just moved over to Garforth

Recently joined Airedale Olympic - but I think you'd be better off investigating Seacroft Wheelers unless you fancy a forty odd mile round trip before you get to the meetup pointin Rawdon!

http://www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk/
    Faster than a tent.......