The floods

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone got any stories?

A car broke down on the middle of the only open route into my village from the North this evening. Right slap bang in the middle, when I was 2 cars behind.

I would've been sympathetic but the bloody water was sill deep and I was worrying about my car stalling out and literally flooding the engine.

I wonder if I can cycle through it tomorrow?

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to drive and stupidly I left my work laptop in the office, so the bike is the only option but I've never cycled through water that deep....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Rather depends if it's standing or flowing. I've gone though on the MTB over the bottom bracket type stuff, normally fording than long stretches though.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I work in motor insurance.

I am already thoroughly fed up with writing off cars that people have tried to drive through floods, and it's only November.

Interestingly, they are almost without exception BMWs. Make of that what you will.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Floods are very common where I live, fortunately this year it hasn't been too bad. Sandbags will be got if the rain continues though.
  • People that attempt to drive through flood-water and subsequently get stuck, ruining their engine and causing their car to be written-off shouldn't be covered by their insurance IMO. It's just supidity in the vast majority of cases, and all it does it put up insurance premiums for all us sensible folks.
    </rant off>
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    A few years ago the underpass by Kingston station flooded here. A car had tried to get through, it floated. It had enough bouyancy to float itself around so it came to rest sideways across the road. So even when the water subsided the road was still blocked. Anyone that knows the kingston one way system can imagine the chaos that caused. Yes, it was a BMW estate.
  • The river level at Kegworth is 1.26 metres.

This measurement was recorded at 22:00 on 26/11/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.41 metres and 0.72 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 1.31 metres and the river level reached 1.16 metres on 17/01/2008.

Is was at that level all day today. Bugger.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... me=2409698

Picture 6 if link doesn't go straight there.... :shock:
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Sketchley wrote:
    That water is only 6 inches deep. The carbon fibre had melted and he hadn't stood up yet.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I've forded stuff on the MTB before. I'd probably be willing to do the same on the road bike.

At least on a flooded road you can be a bit more certain of what is under the water.
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    Had a nice MTB around Burley in the New Forest with coriordan this weekend, we forded some knee high stuff.

Interestingly, my uncle is in that 95th percentile of men who think their estate is completely waterproof, and ploughed it straight into a 'puddle' at speed one day years ago. The bow wave covered the car completely, car flooded, horn got stuck on and he exited via the sunroof in front of the whole village who had gathered, A while ago now, but we still laugh about it.

Not a BMW, but an Audi.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I've had to drive from home in Bude to Taunton this morning to get my train to London.

Had issues getting home Thursday and nearly surged the car in a deep puddle I didn't see until the last minute (dark country roads). Steam everywhere, but managed to get the car started.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Well - the water level was down this morning. Only ankle deep at the worst bit, but they've now closed the road in one direction: oddly the direction I was going last night, the one which the car that broke down was facing.

Oh, and all the cars driving half on, half off the the footpath have half collapsed a cable duct cover. It'll only take a few more cars driving over it for the whole thing to let go.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Sketchley wrote:

As you go through those pictures... all the ones of Hathern are local to me, it's the next village South of me down the A6. Gives you some idea of what it's been like. I'm glad I live up a hill now.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Loving that cyclist picture. Puts to shame all those who got off and walked the 3 inch deep ford on the exmoor beast this year :)
  • Went running on Sunday and the Ford near me was running at 4 feet. Other roads were flooded and cars were watching me run through some to gauge weather (sic) they could drive through or not!
  • Loving that cyclist picture. Puts to shame all those who got off and walked the 3 inch deep ford on the exmoor beast this year :)

+1 - no need to tell him to MTFU....!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Well, luckily for me we were up in Norfolk (Kings Lynn area) at the weekend and despite the flatness of the land we saw very little flooding and had no problems driving up there and back to London. Growing up, our house was right beside a river (if you looked out the bathroom window the river was right up against the wall) so we were used to flooding (e.g. all ground floor wiring was about 4 foot from the floor) and got many a day off school to go home and help!
  • The cycle path I use to commute is flooded, so went to take the road route, and the road was closed due to flooding... So turned around, got the car out and drove in the last two days, hopefully be back on the bike by the end of the week.

Trouble is the other route I can take is along a very busy A-Road with cars going well over 60mph, in good weather it's bad enough riding along it so there's no chance I'll risk it in bad weather conditions (drivers can't see clearly & slippery roads etc).

A long weekend ride is in order in place of missed commuting exercise!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    The flood prevention scheme where my parents live (South Gloucestershire), diverts water into surrounding fields (instead of into the village), and while they are on top of a hill, they aren looking out over a landscape of small lakes with those giant cylindrical bales floating around in them. The sluice gate of the flood prevention scheme is currently blocked by about 3 of these bales. Not seen it that bad in all the time I/they've lived there (30-odd years)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • We seem to be missing all of the terrible weather the rest of the country is getting. It's cold (4C) but calm and mostly dry. At 120m above sea level on the side of a hill, I think Noah will be back in action before we see any issues. They are beefing up the flood defences in Inverness though and Dingwall has been flooded before now.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's the same further south now, dry but cold. A lot of the fields are still flooded but the roads are OK. At least the ones where water pipes didn't burst are :wink:
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    Sketchley wrote:

Just imagine his conversation with his wife before the ride... Don't come back all muddy like last time! Don't worry love I've got my mudguards on :-/
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Sketchley wrote:

I did that last year on my fixie, I didn't think it was quite so deep. It was fun nevertheless.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2012
    a few years back the water pipe flooded up the road from my parents house flooding the dis-used railway line

all the water cascaded down onto the track, i rode through on my Kona Stinky

the water was over the bars at about 4ft deep

its quite hard going riding through deep water

funny though
    Keeping it classy since '83

-1 Seen the tiny bow wave he's producing! I bet that ride never makes it to Strava.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Loving that cyclist picture. Puts to shame all those who got off and walked the 3 inch deep ford on the exmoor beast this year :)

-1 Seen the tiny bow wave he's producing! I bet that ride never makes it to Strava.

do you reckon his garmin ever made it out unscathed?
    Keeping it classy since '83