Which Clipless pedals should I buy?

MattyyP
MattyyP Posts: 142
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I've been looking at "Shimano R540 SPD SL Road Pedals" due to there price and the fact that they are described as a good choice for those just starting out with a clipless road pedal system... But I thought i'd ask on here to see if anybody has any others that they would recommend. I really have a budget of up to £50, however I can go over it to an extent if you know about a set that will make me ride like Bradley!
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

Comments

• TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    You don't need to spend much on pedals. It's only the weight reduction you're actually paying for. Which is very expensive in proportion to the extra amount paid. The R540's are fine and will do the job. Found a review: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-10586

I have Ultegra and 105 pedals on two different bikes. No noticeable difference, the 105's have done over 20,000 miles so far and are good as new apart from scratches.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I started with spd sl and they are briliant as a starter.highly recomended.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I tried the double sided spd's but found them small and tricky to clip into.
    Got myself the R540 SL and found them much much better, wider platform which I liked and overall just easier to clip into, less fumbling with my feet.
    What Elderone said highly recommended
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Hi Matty,

There is an article in the December issue of cycling active regarding clip less pedals for beginners, shimano have brought a new pedal called the click R , they are available from Madison.co.uk for £39.99 . Had a good revue in the magazine, hope this helps.
  • MattyyP
    Okay thanks for the replies guys!

I'm a bit confused though... What is a floating cleat? And what is the alternative? And what are the pros and cons of them?
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • MattyyP
    Toe knee wrote:
    Hi Matty,

There is an article in the December issue of cycling active regarding clip less pedals for beginners, shimano have brought a new pedal called the click R , they are available from Madison.co.uk for £39.99 . Had a good revue in the magazine, hope this helps.

Cheers for the reply! Will take a look now! :)
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Floating gives you a range of movement when your clipped in to the pedal yellow cleats are floating (approx 3 degrees each direction )
    Fixed apparently are a bit harder on the knees, personally as a beginner myself ive found the floating ones fine.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Floating cleat means that you have a certain amount of movement side to side, whilst still clipped in. I believe they come in 3 versions (or at least, Look cleats do) 9deg (4.5 left/right), 4.5 deg (2.25 left/right) and no float. They are colour coded to help. Shimano have a similar system I believe, though I've never used them.
  • #david2012
    #david2012 Posts: 275
    edited November 2012
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    I've got the 105s, do the job perfectly and look great too! And only around £30 on Chain Reaction, so not exactly splashing the cash :wink:
  • Time iclic 2 never dropped my bike on them yet , i have three pairs on three bikes ,planet x doing them at £39.99.
    great pedals for beginners and experienced riders as well.new mark 2 cleats wear much better and nice amount of float
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Shimano 105 pedals look cooler than R540.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Drop me a p.m, i have a pair of pedals and cleats you can have for £20 posted-n good condition
  • I have a pair of mtb pedals as it was the first time I have ventured to clipless. They seem to work very well, easy to clip in and out of and a hell of a difference to toe clips. Got mine from my LBS for £34.99
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I wanted to avoid the bambi on ice experience of SPD-SL so went for normal SPDs on the A600 touring pedal:

SHIMPEDA735000000000_1_large.jpg

£48 from Ribble (40% off) and much lighter than the 105 pedals (only a little heavier than carbon Ultegra pedals)