New hard drive for Apple Laptop help...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,341
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
Fitting a new 250gb hard drive to an Apple Mac Book.
A) Is partitioning recommended and if so
B) Is it still possible to restore the system from the external drive using Time Machine after pertitioning ?

Cheers.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Some good reasons to ie. diagnostics, want to have 2 OS's to run, using boot camp. Personally I've never bothered and been using macs professionally since the 80's. As far as i'm aware you'll have to use the migration assistant rather than the standard restore proceedure to this hd/partitioned drive, good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pinno
    Thank you so much. More help... :roll:
    I have the original OS X 10.5 installation discs, plus the OS X Leopard 10.6 update disc.
    Currently, its 'looking for the HD' but its not formatted. How do I format it?
  • Currently, its 'looking for the HD' but its not formatted. How do I format it?

Stick the DVD in the drive and hard reboot. You need to hold a key down when the ping sounds (C, R or Option - cannot recall which) and wait for the Mac to boot off the disc.

Once the start screen appears look top left and there is a set of menus one of which is disk utility.

Start Disk Utility and select the new drive, format for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then reboot again off the DVD and you should be able to get the Mac to find the TM backup.
  • pinno
    Currently, its 'looking for the HD' but its not formatted. How do I format it?

Stick the DVD in the drive and hard reboot. You need to hold a key down when the ping sounds (C, R or Option - cannot recall which) and wait for the Mac to boot off the disc.

Once the start screen appears look top left and there is a set of menus one of which is disk utility.

Start Disk Utility and select the new drive, format for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then reboot again off the DVD and you should be able to get the Mac to find the TM backup.

I'll try that. Here goes, slave to the 'ping'...
    If you hear a big bang - its my brothers laptop.
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    I used a utility called Superduper that was free and did a complete disk clone job.
    Just need a usb caddy device to plug the new disk in as an additional drive to get you started.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • I used superduper too.

I did exactly the same operation - a 250 gig into a macbook. IT was a bugger to get right. Luckily I had access to an old imac through which I could format the drive and then clone the other one.

For some reason the macbook couldnt recognise the 250gig hd when connected through a usb.

The cloning when it happens takes about 2 hours - but getting there is a cuntchops and half.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    Alls good folks. Took hours (apparently). No bangs. No visit from Mi6. Thanks.
  • Alls good folks. Took hours (apparently). No bangs. No visit from Mi6. Thanks.

Yup - TM restores are a bit slow but I guess it was USB2 and 250Gig is an overnight job. Glad its done though.

You'll find that your next TM backup redoes the entire hard disc again in a new backup, as the UID of the machine changes due to the new HD and in effect, TM thinks its a new machine.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Yup - TM restores are a bit slow but I guess it was USB2 and 250Gig is an overnight job. Glad its done though.

You'll find that your next TM backup redoes the entire hard disc again in a new backup, as the UID of the machine changes due to the new HD and in effect, TM thinks its a new machine.
    Yup. this is true.
    It really fills up your external hard drives but you have to make the decision - Do you really want to delete the old version?
    I decided hard drives are cheap enough not to worry about it.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Relax ...... you got a Mac, that's the important thing
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I remember when I were lad you could connect two macs together wit bi o damp string to back up 'ard drive, now we don't even need t' string.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    I remember when I were lad you could connect two macs together wit bi o damp string to back up 'ard drive, now we don't even need t' string.

Was this it ?

8228261244_1bcb730b1f.jpg

No sorry - i'm getting mixed up with the iphone.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Apple - "do it our way and nobody gets hurt". :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)