Why bibs?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Ok, so I haven't asked any moronic questions for a few days, so I thought I'd better fix that :oops: .

What's the point of bib shorts and tights? I mean, I don't wear braces with me troosies and they don't fall down, so why do I need them with my shorts?

At the moment (for cycling, I mean, not er, right at this moment), I'm wearing padded tights, I have an UnderArmour top, and over the top of that I have a long sleeved jersey. Warm as toast, everything stays nicely put.

What advantage is there having straps over the shoulders, other than to be able to talk in a slightly higher-pitched voice?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the arse. And they are much more comfortable.
  • +1
    Couldn't have put it better myself!
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the ars*. And they are much more comfortable.

+2

Much more comfy than shorts on the road bike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Normal shorts = builder's bum syndrome. + Whilst crouched-over, the waistband digs in around your midriff. Once you've tried a pair you're unlikely to go back.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Keep in mind also that (I assume, anyway) you don't have a pad in the seat of your normal trousers. Bibs by design hold it in place.
  • Once you wear bibs, you'll never willingly go back to just shorts.
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    They don't move. Without the shoulder straps, shorts tend to ride up or fall down when riding. Also, you don't have to tuck your jersey in the back. You don't get a draft up the ars*. And they are much more comfortable.

+2

Much more comfy than shorts on the road bike.

keep your tummy warm too :lol:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    And, don't forget, you can mime dance to Bohemian Rhapsody with a degree of realism :lol:
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Oh this takes me back, this was one of my first questions on this forum http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12797707&hilit=Bib
    Ah, my bad, searched on "Why bibs", not "Why bib".

Thanks for the answers, guys. Guess I'll have to look out for some, come spring.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have shorts for summer and bib tights for winter - tbh I cannot tell any difference in comfort or performance between them.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I have to agree, while I've only ever owned a few of each I can't say the pad has ever migrated in shorts or the waistband elastic is a noticeable issue. The high rise body on bibs is nice though.

Also if you want to walk round the flat informing your housemates "It's Big Van Vader - and you ain't never seen an athletic like 'im!" then shorts are clearly useless.
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    DesB3rd wrote:

Also if you want to walk round the flat informing your housemates "It's Big Van Vader - and you ain't never seen an athletic like 'im!" then shorts are clearly useless.

Agreed. My 1 year old daughter finds me dancing around the living room in bibs post-ride hilarious. Shorts, meh, not so much.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I like the feel of bibs, nothing cutting into my waist. BUT, I have trouble getting them fit fit. Seems like I'm a medium round my bum, but chest is XXL.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    baldwin471 wrote:

This.

I was like you, didn't "get it"

Got my first pair of bibs...and got it. Would never, ever use anything else now

I want bib underpants as well :mrgreen:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Had the misfortune to end up riding behind a guy who had ill fitting shorts one evening. I’m scarred for life. Needless to say I made sure I took long turns on the front.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Navrig wrote:
    And, don't forget, you can mime dance to Bohemian Rhapsody with a degree of realism :lol:

LOL, personally I tend to give it "We are the champions", but I can't help it, I have to do it every time I put them on

And I totally loathe Queen

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Had the misfortune to end up riding behind a guy who had ill fitting shorts one evening. I’m scarred for life. Needless to say I made sure I took long turns on the front.

Bibs that are too small are no fun to ride behind, especially if they are white. Stretched too much lycra starts to become semi-transparent....... :shock:
  • Navrig wrote:
    Had the misfortune to end up riding behind a guy who had ill fitting shorts one evening. I’m scarred for life. Needless to say I made sure I took long turns on the front.

Bibs that are too small are no fun to ride behind, especially if they are white. Stretched too much lycra starts to become semi-transparent....... :shock:

This guys shorts were bordering on knee warmers :shock: