Switch Shimano 105 to Compact Chainset

kopitekid
kopitekid Posts: 3
edited November 2012 in Workshop
Hi

Please bear with me as i a complete noob with regards to bike maintenance, I also apologise if this has previously been covered, I did look but couldn’t find anything exactly related

I have an old Specialized Allez Elite A1 carbon which I believe is about 9 years old. It has Shimano 105 gear all round with a 53/39 on the front (9 Speed).

I’m looking to change this to a compact but cannot work out which parts I require as everything appears to be 10 speed. I have looked at the FC-5750 but it doesn’t appear to be compatible with my 9 speed chain and even possibly with the shifters.

Could someone please help me out with regards to what parts I need and also what else if anything would require changing. i.e. bottom bracket, shifters, front mech etc

Many Thanks in advance

Steven

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you want to change to a compact chainset then the "speed" doesn't really matter. Just get yourself a "10 speed" compact chainset, and assuming you have a Hollowtech BB, then something like this will fit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50444
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you can find a compact chainset compatible with your current bottom bracket (possibly Octalink 2; -see Sheldon Brown for more info on BB types) then you may get away with simply replacing the chainset and lowering the front mech a few mm.

Failing that, a newer Shimano Hollowtech 2 compact chainset complete with outboard BB cups (and lowering the front mech a few mm). Then you'd need the tools to remove the old cranks and BB and a different set to fit the new stuff.

Don't worry about 9 speed vs 10 speed; it doesn't really matter with chainsets. A new 10 speed chainset will work OK with your 9 speed stuff.
  • Thats fantastic thanks so much for your help

So i can purchase a 10 speed 5750 and also change the bottom bracket to match if need be. Would this then be a 5700 BB?

I will start looking about for guides now
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As far as I know all the Shimano Hollowtech road Bb's are interchangeable, so Sora, Tiagra, 105, or Ultegra BB would do.