Cycling Plus, is Giant the best bike manufacturer ever?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Ever since the 2009 road bike of the year and probably before that, Giant road bikes have consistently scored highly in the Cycling Plus magazine. Individual reviews of see the bikes scoring 4 stars or above and any comparisions against a range of other brands always see a Giant road bike featuring in the top five.

Honestly, I have never seen a bad review of a Giant bike in that magazine.

Is Cycling Plus on the take or are Giant bikes just that good?

Of us road bike enthusiasts should a Giant (bike) be on the top of our lists when choosing a bike?

Was a Giant bike on your radar when you chose your bike? If so of if not then why?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Giant make most of the frames for most other brands in the world...

make of that what you will
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    spasypaddy wrote:

Giant's name is kinda appropriate then.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I test-rode a TCR Advanced and a TCR Advanced SL a week ago. Both were nice bikes - well finished and nicely balanced. To ride, the SL was as good as, possibly better than, my Supersix. The finish was lovely too.

As spasypaddy wrote, they make a lot of the frames for other brands - so access to research and knowledge isn't hard to come by. They also work with a lot of other component makers to produce house-branded components. The P-SL0/P-SLR wheels are pretty good for the price.

The best? Far too subjective.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    spasypaddy wrote:

Must admit that I thought that Giant had a huge factory in collaboration with a Chinese manufacturer; multiple brands come from one factory. Essentially, Giant put the investment in and now have the monopoly on frame manufacture for the right price?

I don't dislike Giant bikes, I think that the colours chemes are crap and if I had to have a 'massive' manufacture build, I would probably go for a Specialized.....**I am not counting Colnago/Pinarello/Bianchi and so on as 'massive' - only counting Trek, Specialized and Giant!**
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I rode my friends Giant Defy and it was nice. I went to test out a Defy 1 from a Giant showroom, but they don't let people test their bikes - you have to buy it first and for that reason I am out. (then I went and bought a bike from Wiggle without test riding it first :-))
  • vermin
    Daddy0 wrote:
    but they don't let people test their bikes - you have to buy it first

No so in Twickenham
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    vermin wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:

No so in Twickenham

LBS or a Giant shop?
  • vermin
    Daddy0 wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:

No so in Twickenham

LBS or a Giant shop?

Giant shop

http://www.giant-twickenham.co.uk/
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I've got a Bowery, can't complain. No problems with it, only one puncture but I might get a shorter h/b stem in the new year.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Their bikes are fine, but Cycling Plus (and most magazine) reviews would be close correlated to advertising revenue than anything else.

I've seen stuff get 10/10 one year, then 5/10 the next.
    exercise.png
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I'm a big fan of Giant bikes in general (I own a TCR Alliance Zero, XTC 1 29er & XTC composite) previous to that had an XTC 1 26" and a Giant NRS so I may be biased but...

...Giant bikes consistently offer good value for money for the kit you get, very well built, stiff and good looking frames (last bit is personal I guess) Exotic they are not, but for a machine they are brilliant.

I used to work in a LBS who sold Giants, which may have influenced my decision to buy them, but I do love mine.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Good bikes. Unfortunate logo.

CB7C5458-43F6-42A0-A195-E53F8DB3EFB6-1655-000001268E17556E.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I've had three bikes from them (2 mountain, 1 road) as well as having had a number of different bikes from other manufacturers and test ridden several more. I really like them. They happen to suit me as a rider, I guess. Does it mean they're the best? Of course not. Are they worth a test ride? Absolutely.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • vermin wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:

No so in Twickenham
    ^^ What he said. Test rode two in there, bought one.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • In January I bought my TCR Advanced SL,
    in June I bought my Omnium,
    In September I bought my TCX,
    and this month I purchased my Trinity....

I like Giants. (I sold 5 bikes from other manufacturers!)
  • In January I bought my TCR Advanced SL,
    in June I bought my Omnium,
    In September I bought my TCX,
    and this month I purchased my Trinity....

I like Giants. (I sold 5 bikes from other manufacturers!)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    mroli wrote:
    I thought it was Merida that made most of the bikes in the world?

Don't know about that but this article contains a nice little table from InnerRing on who makes what and an even better article on who makes your bike again from Inrng too.

as for Cycling Plus I'm not sure I've ever read it nor have I ridden a Giant bike. I do read MBR though and they certainly are keen on Specialized.
    FCN = 4
  • DonDaddyD
    All that time I've been buying Pearl Izumi and I've been thinking 'premium' a notch down from Castelli and its actually Shimano.

Still, I'm gonna buy a Focus and scratch Cervelo over the logo....

I saw the same done to a Skoda, only it had VW on it.

ANYWAY, for me, the Cycling Plus reviews are starting to lose meaning. The reviews are mostly the same year in, year out. Giant will always score highly, Specialized often. Get a star or half a star less than Giant, and the new manufacturers get 3 - 4 stars unless the bike is proper rubbish.

Also how difference is 4.5 stars to 5 stars. Why not mark out of 10 and make sure 7 is good and not considered average.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Lots of things fall into the same thing as bike frames - loads of well-know (and less well-known) consumer electronics are made by Flextronics in China. The economies of scale and the know-how are important factors.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I just ignore the scores and try and pick through the articles to see if the bike looks like it'll do the job. Nothing beats a test ride and seeing them in the flesh though...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I don't even waste brain power thinking about this cr@p.
  • DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:
    I don't even waste brain power thinking about this cr@p.

And this post is a great example of brain power well spent... :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    It's probably just because Giant are good enough that very few people would ever be unhappy with their stuff, and the economies of scale they have mean that at any given price point their stuff is at least as good, if not better value than the competition.

So in your typical bike mag comparison review they're always likely to come out at or near the top.