edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I've just got a new 2013 giant trance and was
Wondering if there is any flaws with things like cable
Rub or any other problems that do accur while under
Normal use so I can prevent it before it happens

Thanks for any input sutty
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cable rub happens, heli tape or other patch were it does.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Seat tube behind the shock where the cables bend up either side they rub there, mine rubbed the paint completely off before i noticed it.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Cable rub happens, heli tape or other patch were it does.....
    I know that but I want to stop it before it happens not
    Find it one day while washing it

• Stu Coops wrote:
    Seat tube behind the shock where the cables bend up either side they rub there, mine rubbed the paint completely off before i noticed it.
    Cheers I will tape it up now before Its maiden ride

• I have already taped up the head tube either side
    Where the cables touch

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.
    The two cables coming up from the down tube are zip tied to the rocker bar link so not touching anything

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Keep an eye on them, especially after a few rides, or it may just be that mine are slightly longer, but the rhs definitely rubs for me, and the lbs told me the trick so it can't be a one off.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • SUPERSUTT wrote:
    You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.
    The two cables coming up from the down tube are zip tied to the rocker bar link so not touching anything

Be careful, if they're zip tied too tight from the factory they can rub through the cables as they are sharp. I cut them off and put looser cable ties on, so they hang slightly (on my second Trance, learned the lesson the first time!). Good luck, as soon as you patch one area, another will inevitably appear due to the elaborate cable routing on the Trance. Eventually you'll get over the "overprotective new bike owner" phase and just get on with riding and appreciating every battle scar :lol:
  • RyanCTJ wrote:
    SUPERSUTT wrote:

Be careful, if they're zip tied too tight from the factory they can rub through the cables as they are sharp. I cut them off and put looser cable ties on, so they hang slightly (on my second Trance, learned the lesson the first time!). Good luck, as soon as you patch one area, another will inevitably appear due to the elaborate cable routing on the Trance. Eventually you'll get over the "overprotective new bike owner" phase and just get on with riding and appreciating every battle scar :lol:
    Cheers mate I will do that this isn't my first bike I had mr camber stolen
    A couple of weeks ago but before it got nicked I noticed the rear brake hose
    Had made a deep groove under the chain stay which no one warned about

Maybe we need to start pointing out small flaws like that to people maybe run a post on here in all bikes