Alcohol Allergy

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
I have a problem, Im allergic to alcohol. Not the usual alcohol allergy ie, gives me a headache, I throw up etc etc allergy but a horrible burning rash over my face neck and shoulders. Whisky, wine, beer all affect me in the same way, just for the 1st drink and then Im fine after that. Its quite embarrassing when Im out and very uncomfortable. I have taken anti histamines to no effect and the quacks dont seem to offer any answers other than dont drink.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Comments

• davelakers wrote:
    just for the 1st drink and then Im fine after that.
    Clearly, the solution is to have your first drink as early in the morning as possible.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Got a mate who had this problem about 27 years ago and from what i remember he started drinking very low quantities of rum/whiskey or vodka in coke(i.e. he would buy a glass of coke and glass of rum then through the night put a drop of the rum in each glass of coke he bought). I suppose its just like building your immune system with polio or measles injections.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • I have seen this before, and those people would simply abstain.
    If your body is reacting to it, don't do it; after all, alcohol is essentially a poison to the human body. Don't try and train your body to do something it doesn't want to do.
    Boring answer I know, but I think the right one.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ANDY F wrote:
    Got a mate who had this problem about 27 years ago and from what i remember he started drinking very low quantities of rum/whiskey or vodka in coke(i.e. he would buy a glass of coke and glass of rum then through the night put a drop of the rum in each glass of coke he bought). I suppose its just like building your immune system with polio or measles injections.

No its not like that at all. You can't develop antibodies to alcohol.

My suggestion would be to not drink? or maybe see a Doctor.
  • davelakers wrote:
    IDoes anyone else have a similar issue?

Yup, but not so bad as you - mine runs in the family judging by my (drinking) fathers face :)

I gave up all alcohol consumption in 1986 and gave up all aftershave as well.

Saved a fortune, became the nominated driver and my popularity rose accordingly.
  • I get this on rare occasions, in fact it happened yesterday. Never been able to put my finger on what causes it, dont bother me too much as I like a drink :D Reckon it started about 20 years ago!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My wife is more persistent.
    She flushes red over her neck and face in similar circumstances so simply has a glass of wine while getting ready for the night.
    By the time she heads out the door she is fine.

Note that this is not medical advice but just a way of saying that you are not alone.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I have a mate who gets this regularly. I've had it myself a couple of times. I got it when I hadn't drunk anything for a while and then on NYE I had a couple of strong gins in quick succession early evening. I went upstairs for a shower and freaked myself out with the rash on my face / body. It went down after half an hour or so.

Haven't had it for a few years, it's a bit strange, if it happened every time I drank I'd probably just stop drinking and accept my body didn't like it!

Cheers,
    Matt
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I don't drink but I've heard there are herbal alternatives :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Sounds like this.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I get something like this, but not all the time. I just call it lash rash and laugh it off. Sometimes it comes on with the 1st drink, sometimes it comes after a few and it seems to have gone away (I think).
  • Thanks for replies everyone. Its always good to know that Im not the only freak who suffers..

I first got this about 15 years ago and I went to the Docs. I said I was allergic to alcohol and he took a few steps back, worried that it was contagious. Ive had all the allergy tests and I am allergic to quite a few things but he reckoned it would clear up in time. Still waiting....