Racing through the dark.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
Just finished reading this book and I must say my perception of drug cheats......................Hmmmm well, it's an insight well worth reading.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Fantastic book. To follow up, maybe read 'Secret Race' with Tyler Hamilton. Another great read and that will really make you wonder how many riders were actually clean during that era.
  • Fantastic book. To follow up, maybe read 'Secret Race' with Tyler Hamilton.
    Riveting. I'm about a third of the way through, it's fascinating.

The feelings that it evokes in me include incredulity, sympathy, shock, anger on behalf of the clean guys....

... but I also find myself thinking, "hmm, some testosterone, some EPO, and this old unfit fart could perhaps get a much better body for my declining years".

As the years go by, and the drugs that are available to combat the effects of ageing get better and better, who's to say where the lines will need to be redrawn.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Fantastic book. To follow up, maybe read 'Secret Race' with Tyler Hamilton. Another great read and that will really make you wonder how many riders were actually clean during that era.
    Very few and you have to sympathise with those that did stay clean.
    Best to write off the past and start fresh. Anybody with a "past", sorry but......

Back on topic, +1 on the book.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Another great book: "A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France"

I guess some people see the 'doping' as a way riders got ahead of their competitors. Understanding the history behind these 'extreme' races puts another perspective on the use of drugs within the sport.

When the use of drugs was the only way you could expect to actually finish the race in the past, and the promoters kept upping the difficulty, it's unsurprising the state professional cycling got itself into. It's just taken years to try and clean up the sport, as you can't reverse the past.
    Simon
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Just finished The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton-best description of of why we love cycling I have read and a moving account of his personal life.You wont regret reading this.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • nevman wrote:
    Just finished The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton-best description of of why we love cycling I have read and a moving account of his personal life.You wont regret reading this.

Mabe I need to reread it through the prism of age, but my recollection of the book was an upsetting tale of his wife's death and then him quitting cycling like a big girl at the end. I was completely non-plussed by his reasoning.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Racing Through The Dark is on my bedside table - I'm about a third of the way through, so no spoilers please!

I have read 'A Race for Madmen' and really enjoyed it, and I've just finished 'Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape' - a biog of Jacques Anquetil, which was an eye opener, especially his attitude to food and drink!

I see the Tyler Hamilton book has just won the William Hill Sports book of the year.