10 speed with clutch mech.

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone run a 10 speed set up with a clutch mech and single ring up front?if so. Do you use a chain guide or does the clutch on the mech do a good enough job of keeping chain on.
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Wouldn't bother with a clutch mech. Just does what a £25 chain tensioner does.
  • Perhaps from a retention pov, but not slap.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Seems an awful length to go to to eliminate some noise that most people don't even notice when riding.

Especially with a cheap chainstay protector.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you need a mech anyway, why not? I'd get one.
  • widge34
    njee20 wrote:
    If you need a mech anyway, why not? I'd get one.

Exactly. I'm going to 10 speed from 9 so I need a new mech. The clutch mechs arn't that much dearer if you shop around, so why not get one.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You will need a chain guide....even the factory riders use them......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    Just going to go with a top chain guide. Should be fine for single track riding.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep that's the consensus.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I love my Xtr clutch mech, the shifting is perfect, theres no noise from the drivetrain what so ever and tbh I could probably get away with just a top guide on the HD now, will definitely put a zee mech on the 456 over crimbo!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Advantage of a full guide- better chain control
    Advantage of a clutch mech- less weight. Less moving/wearing parts. Less things to set up. Less noise. Less drag. Less expense (assuming you need to buy a mech)

Now the chain control thing sounds like a big deal, but in practice I've not found it to be. The chain does fall off mine sometimes, but it's never been while I was riding. it's slightly irritating to lift the bike over a fence, or crash, or similiar and have the chain fall off but it's not really a big deal.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've got an X0 type 2 and the benefits are:

More positive shifting feel
    quieter drivetrain
    cage lock makes rear wheel removal sooooo much easier
    and I haven't lost my chain

I'm sold on them
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Sheppy
    Sheppy Posts: 140
    I've got the X9 type 2 clutch mech. Doesn't really seem any better for chain slap than an ordinary one tbh... Still get a lot of noise. Saying that I would probably still take it over the non-clutch one as someone said before it's easier to get the wheel off and the price difference is very little. Other than that can't say I'm impressed.
  • widge34
    dusk wrote:
    I've got an X0 type 2 and the benefits are:

More positive shifting feel
    quieter drivetrain
    cage lock makes rear wheel removal sooooo much easier
    and I haven't lost my chain

I'm sold on them

Clutch locked on or off to remove wheel?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013