chainring advice

chuffa
chuffa Posts: 25
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
HI All
After a particularly hard (but satisfying) ride yesterday i have broken several teeth on two of the 3 chainrings.
I now need to change these and may possibly upgrade.
I currently have HG-53 FSA Dynadrive 44/32/22.
what are my options and should i be looking to replace the crankset or just the rings.
cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sure they're broken? Chainrings have odd shaped teeth to aid shifting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    if the bottom bracket and crank arms are fine why not just change the rings and keep what you have?

although sometimes buying a whole new crankset can be only a few more pounds compared to buying multiple chain rings.

have a browse online and workout what works best for you.
  • chuffa
    They're definately broken.i recall hearing some nasty noises when i was pushing hard.My mate has the same set and his all look ok.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i have the same chainset and had problems shifting with the fsa rings and changed the granny and middle for deore ones i think i got both for £20 ish , i ditched the outer and now run it with just the 2 inner rings.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • chuffa
    hi tarbot18 i've advice from elswhere that changing to a two ring set up is better i think ill go for that.
    Thanks all :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'Better' is a bit of a catch all....better for what?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.