29er wheels for a big guy

Ult
Ult Posts: 60
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
HI all,
Looking to buy an xc 29er wheelset for a Trek Superfly 100. General use will be for events like the Chain reaction series, Dyfi/ Coed y Brenin Enduro, Brecon beast etc. as well as Brechfa, Nant yr Arian, CYB every weekend. (so no 5ft drops!). The key point however is that I am 19stone odd kitted up, and the priority will always be something that stays in one piece with as little maintenance as possible rather than purely being light.

On the plus side I have ridden 1000 of k's on flows and mavic 717xc' both with pro 2 hubs on my 26ers, and have never broken a wheel and only one spoke in 4 years so I guess I am pretty easy on wheels. Gut reaction is to go flows again as they are still running like new but just wondered are there other options that are better/lighter but equally strong given my weight.

All suggestions welcome, preferably no more than £400-£450 please but may consider more if something really good out there.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Have you considered the arch (or arch ex) instead of the flows? It would save a bit of weight but still be plenty stiff enough.

The main strength from a set of wheels comes from the build; so just make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing to build them up and they should be plenty strong enough. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Ult
    Ult Posts: 60
    Thanks.
    Was wondering if that would be a good compromise but don't know anyone who has used them. Seems everyone I know has either flows or crests!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Flows or Flow EX's would seem the obvious choice, there's a reason they're so popular
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Flow EX is an even more hardcore rim.

The Arch is the older style design, wasn't available in Hope Hoops and was the same width as the lighter Crest, so weren't as popular. The Arch EX is a new rim, which fills the gap between Crests and Flows nicely. It's where my money would go.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're having no problems with the XC717 then you don't need anything like a Flow. Crests should be fine though personally I prefer Mavic rims. Strength is more about the build than the rim.
    I am 17 stone and I get away with using XM719's on my DH bike even when racing they are fine.